How to get my rear end straight! One side lower than the other

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

PaulUK1955

How to get my rear end straight! One side lower than the other

Post by PaulUK1955 »

I noticed my 55 rear end is slightly lopsided. I measured from the floor to the bottom of the rear side skirt one side its 16 inches, the other side 17 inches.

How do i get the rear to even up? i notice that on the "higher" side that above the spring where it touches the rear axle there are a few shims and the rubber mount, but the lower side no shims only the rubber mount. The shims are around just less than 0.4 inchs thick. If i moved these from the high side to the low side would that do it? or am i getting it the wrong way around?
Paul.
CSPIDY

Re: How to get my rear end straight! One side lower than the other

Post by CSPIDY »

IAW "Gil's Garage" on the CTCI website the measurement is taken from the center of the tail light to the ground. 55 and 56 models should measure 24 inches.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Se what side measures the correct height as mentioned above.

If it the side that has the shims is too high, remove them. If the other side is too low, have the spring re-arched
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
PaulUK1955

Post by PaulUK1955 »

yep.

Measured and the high side is 1 inch too high - the side with the shims. So I will remove those. The "low" side is about the right height. So I think all is good from that point of view. the springs look new as does most of the car as it was fully restored about 5 years and 1500 miles ago.

i will remove the shims from the "high" side and see what i end up with. Just wanted to check that removing the shims is the way to level it.
Paul.
goldwinghg

Post by goldwinghg »

24" from center of the tail lights to the ground,seems to be awful low. If that is right, then I need to lower mine. A little over half of my rear wheels are exposed from the skirts. I have air shocks on mine,to help even the sides. Cheap way of doing it,without changing the rear springs.