Electric Tachometer Conversion for '55 TBirds

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Florida_Phil

Electric Tachometer Conversion for '55 TBirds

Post by Florida_Phil »

I wish to install a modern electronic tachometer into the mechanical tach dash hole of my 1955 TBird. After some measuring, I ordered a 3 3/8 inch Sun Pro Tach. It looks like it will fit behind the stock bezel with a little grinding around the edges. I also may need to buy some clear plastic and make a new face plate cover. Anyone ever done this?
Last edited by Florida_Phil on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Florida_Phil

Re: Electric Tachometer Conversion

Post by Florida_Phil »

When I removed my '55 Load-A-Matic distributor and TPot carb from my '55 TBird, I really perked up the old 292. What a difference!! I didn't want to spring for a pricey '57 tach drive distributor, so I swapped in a modern electronic distributor from Summit. It took a little craftsmanship, but I think the result was worth it. Total cost about $50.
ranchbird

Re: Electric Tachometer Conversion for '55 TBirds

Post by ranchbird »

Great idea and a nice looking installation .
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Got a part number or Summitt number
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

The tachometer I used was a SunPro CP 7901. It is a 3 3/8" tachometer with a plastic case. The guts of this tach fit into the stock '55 mechanical drive tach case and bezel. I kept the Sunpro front glass, black gasket and the tach itself. The rest of the Sunpro was discarded. First, I cut the black Sunpro rubber gasket about 1/2" so it fit perfectly inside the '55 tach case. Before doing anything glue the ends of the gasket together and do a test fit so you can see how everything fits together. You want the gasket to fit even with the open end of the metal case. Using yellow 3M weatherstrip adhesive I glued the gasket to the Sunpro dial. Make sure the tach hand can sweep through it's arch without touching the gasket. When that dried, I positioned the gasket with the Sunpro guts attached into the stock tach case and test marked it in the car so I got it vertical. When I had it right I glued the gasket and the Sunpro guts into the case even with the front of the steel case. The wires come out in the end of the case just like the stock mechanical cable and dash light. Glue the Sunpro tach glass into the stock bezel. Put the steel case onto the Bezel and replace the little screws that hold it together. Mount the new tach in the car with the stock bracket and nuts, wire it up and you are good to go.

It looks fairly stock except for the 8,000 RPM dial. I don't think my 292 will see that any time soon.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Thanks
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302