Installing Pertronix ignition module on 57

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Ferrbird

Installing Pertronix ignition module on 57

Post by Ferrbird »

I want to install a Pertronix Igniter module along with the recommended Flame Thrower coil on my 57 bird.
I'm a bit confused, as I have the factory resistor, yet module instructions say to keep resistor, and coil instructions say remove it.
Does anyone have experience with this product, I purchased from Concours Tbird parts.
My guess is leave resistor in, join red module wire to keyed 12 volts,then connect pair to resistor, then resistor out to coil positive. Module black wire connects to coil Negative.
Any experienced help appreciated!
CSavaglio

Re: Installing Pertronix ignition module on 57

Post by CSavaglio »

This has been gone over several times recently. The Ignitor needs a full 12v. The stock coil needs the ballast resistor. With an aftermarket coil that requires 12v, don't run the resistor. The instructions have you keep the resistor if you are using the stock coil.

The instructions have wiring diagrams for both setups.
Ferrbird

Post by Ferrbird »

Thank you. Confusion is module instructions say if you have resistor, keep it, while coil instructions say remove it.
Module instructions have an ad for the coil, but makes no mention of combing the two, discussing resistor in that sense.
Clears it up for me, thanks again.
CSavaglio

Post by CSavaglio »

Ditch the resistor....you can leave there for the original look, just don't wire it in since both the new coil and Ignitor need a full 12v. I assume you used one of the coils recommended on their little chart? The ohm rating of the coil matters.

Pertronix tech service is really good usually, too, if you want to give them a call before you turn the key to make sure it's wired right. You can burn out the module if it's wired wrong.
Ferrbird

Post by Ferrbird »

Yes, got it figured out. As mentioned, using their coil as well, but 2 sets of directions got me confused. Will leave resistor for looks as mentioned.
Thanks again!
thebike45

Post by thebike45 »

The ballast resister has nothing to do with the original coil's needs. Its only purpose was to reduce voltage to
make the points last longer.
bobioknight

Post by bobioknight »

I am running the Pertronix I allows Max of 8volts, so I am running a Napa coil with 1.5 resistance with no need for a resistor. I ran the Flamethrower initially but after leaving my ignition turned on without the engine running it fried and died pretty quickly. I found Napa's standard coil was a close match so I installed and its been working fine. I keep the new Flamethrower in the trunk for emergencies but so far so good. The Pertronix II allows Max of 12volts.
1957 Ford Thunderbird | Black | 312 Y Block | 28,000 miles
2007 Jaguar XK | Green | 18,000 miles
2002 Ford F-350 SD Lariat | Green/Tan | 7.3 Turbo Diesel | 190,000 miles