Door seal problem

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

caddy_67

Door seal problem

Post by caddy_67 »

Hi Bird Brothers, I have a problem with my new at Larry's T Bird ordered door seals. I fitted them the only possible way and now the doors do not close normally anymore. I have to slam the door really hard in order close it.
Do you guys have experience in this?
David Langhorne

Re: Door seal problem

Post by David Langhorne »

Yes - after a year or so you may notice a slight improvement.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
Silent Thunder

Post by Silent Thunder »

I have the same problem. I ordered them from Larry. Doors would not close. Took them off, purchased them else where, same problem. What gives? How do others correct this problem?
rheckman

Post by rheckman »

I bought my last set at Dennis Carpenters,still a little snug but better than the others in my opinion.
I also trimmed a little of the flared part at top on hinge side of door.
This is where the one screw goes in.
caddy_67

Post by caddy_67 »

So the first part to be looked at is the piece where the hinge sits you think?
rheckman

Post by rheckman »

it ends up tucking in close to the where the roof rail screws in at front inside,at A pillar
I used scissors to trim it it sticks out quite a bit,too much I think.
caddy_67

Post by caddy_67 »

rheckman wrote:it ends up tucking in close to the where the roof rail screws in at front inside,at A pillar
I used scissors to trim it it sticks out quite a bit,too much I think.
Thanks for the advise.
I'll give it a try and let you know
Richard

Post by Richard »

Funny thing..When I watch all the car auctions and the announcer guy would open a door of a car on the block the door on most cars would not close shut all the way. Took me a while to realize all these restored cars have new rubber..So I guess its a common problem with most cars new rubber..Hope this makes you feel better about your issue..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
Silent Thunder

Here is a neat trick

Post by Silent Thunder »

If you are replacing the door seals you will most likely have the plastic surrounds that the plastic pins going into missing. I've bought the new ones that are sold but they don't work well as they do not grip. I then purchased dry wall anchors and they work great! They hold the rubber plugs in tight. I've attached a photo.
Last edited by Silent Thunder on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H. Tast

Re: Here is a neat trick

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Silent Thunder wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:15 pm If you are replacing the door seals you will most likely have the plastic surrounds that the plugs going into missing. I've bought the new ones that are sold but they don't work well as they do not grip. I then purchased dry wall plugs and they work great! They hold the rubber plugs in tight. I've attached a photo.
That, literally, is a good "tip." Actually, those are not plugs - they are wall anchors. You can get them separately by the box full at your local hardware store. Using these would be kind of like using metal barrel nuts for trim and emblems.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Silent Thunder

Post by Silent Thunder »

Thanks I modified my post.