Looking to sell. Need advice what to ask for.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

TheChadwaa

Looking to sell. Need advice what to ask for.

Post by TheChadwaa »

I purchased a black 1961 thunderbird with burgundy interior a few years ago, it sat in a shed for 40 years. The previous owner has passed away and no one knows why he parked it. The engine is seized and I had to remove and throw out the gas tank.
The body has one rust spot about the size of a soft ball on rear fender and a dent on driver door. The seats are torn and old and dash has a crack. The carb is rusted and needs replaced. Everything is original and has about 75000 miles on it. I purchased it at a time when I had extra money and time to fix and shortly after, that all changed. Looking to get rid of it cause its a shame for such a beautiful car to sit in a shed. I have no idea what it might be worth as is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
ICON 1956

Re: Looking to sell. Need advice what to ask for.

Post by ICON 1956 »

To tell you that the main thing for a buyer is the engine, If it is seized then you really have a "donor car" . as far the interior is roached you might be lucky to sell for parts to a local Thunderbird club in your area, As far as getting any kind of money you might be lucky to get $500.00 to $1000.00 depending on the condition of the body parts, trim door glass, etc Good luck.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Personally, I'd take a car with a seized engine over one with a Swiss cheese body any day. Engines are "relatively" cheap to rebuild compared with extensive unibody repairs, the cost of which can run into the tens of thousands.

Anyway OP, it's tough to accurately value a car sight unseen, but based on your description you're probably looking at getting $2,000 tops for your car.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
bwssr

Post by bwssr »

We have enough donor cars and there are less and less of these cars out there. I say find another engine if this can't be fixed or sell it to someone who will. I am all for saving Thunderbirds.

As for that engine some people have had luck with soaking the piston cylinders with diesel fuel and freeing them up.
I was in the army stationed at Ft. Lewis in November 1973. I bought my 65 Thunderbird near there and was hooked on Thunderbirds ever since.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Chadwaa obviously, it seems that you have no intention on trying to restore the car. It would be expensive and time consuming . I don't blame you since things have changed for you financially. Again you might list on craig's list or local car weekly paper to sell as a donor car or find a local Thunderbird Club. I would start high depending on the body , As stated from before a fair price could be $1000.00 to $2,000.00.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309