Convertible top issues

This area is for posting questions/information concerning the newest generation year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: VicRattlehead

twsh94

Convertible top issues

Post by twsh94 »

Hi- my convertible top for my 2004 is not going down. I need to know who I can contact to help repair it. My usual guy does not know how to get the inner lining off or really what to do. Any suggestions, I live in the Houston, TX area.
Alan H. Tast

Re: Convertible top issues

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Go to VTCI's home page and look for the list of local chapters - the Vintage Thunderbirds of Houston is an active group with people who do know Retrobirds. In fact, do yourself a favor and join not only VTCI but also your nearest local chapter in order to get their newsletters, network with members and take part in events.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Also Look up "THE THUNDERBIRD NEST" group. They are another club but specialize on the retros.
Hate to lose you though, we are a good group too.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
vince

Post by vince »

Your comment about removing the liner concerned me. I was able to get access to a Ford diagnosis chart and there really should be very little reason for someone taking something apart. To simplify it, there is the top switch which talks, by grounding, to an electronics module. That talks to a module in the rear of the car which talks to the up relay and the down relay. Other parts are two fuses in the rear fuse box(5A and 40A), a hardtop present sensor, the motor and the wiring between all these parts.

I can't remember from my '04 but I think the car needs to be in Park for the top to operate, that's another sensor/switch. However, you should be having a problem getting out of Park or stating the car if this part is failing. The diagnostic tree works best with a computer scanner and pinpoint testing. Not dissing your "regular guy" he just may not have the particular software on his scanner, happens all the time. So, this is where the local Houston group can shorten your search for the right person with the right stuff.

A harmless thing to try is disconnecting the NEGATIVE battery cable for a minute or two. This will usually cause many of the sensors and computers to reset to a default state. Could be something is stuck on which should be off. You'd be lucky if it was the case but everybody deserves some luck.
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress