Am I correct?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

stove

Am I correct?

Post by stove »

my '63 model year Thunderbird has a build date code of "11J" which means September, 11 1962.... Right?
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
Alan H. Tast

Re: Am I correct?

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Yes.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
stove

Post by stove »

With that said, what would the date coding window be, for date coded parts (for VTCI judging)? Such as distributors, carburetors, water pumps etc... A C3xx part number with a ANY date code prior to Sep 11 (or rather prior to first and second week of September)? OR, does it need to be within a week, month or two, three, ten???. What are the guidelines?

Thanks!
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Far as I know there are no hard and fast guidelines spelled out in the Concours Rules on this subject. Using the very original '62 I owned as an example, all the parts I could find date codes on (with the exception of the glass) were produced less than a month prior to the car's scheduled build date.

This included body panels such as the front fenders and trunk lid, which you will find also have date codes on them.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

If your goal is a high score in Primary division of concours judging, having the correct paint colors on specific parts is probably more of a concern. Having said that, there are major differences in some parts from year to year, and can easily be picked out during judging. Intake manifolds changed, the oil fill tube went away, valve covers and air filter housings changed over the years. A Holley carb is easily spotted due to its fuel line location. I personally have never looked at casting date codes while judging, and remember the engine judge has no reason to inspect and compare your data plate during judging. Having the correct parts for your year is more important than possibly having a water pump that's 6 months off. JMO Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

redstangbob wrote:If your goal is a high score in Primary division of concours judging, having the correct paint colors on specific parts is probably more of a concern. Having said that, there are major differences in some parts from year to year, and can easily be picked out during judging. Intake manifolds changed, the oil fill tube went away, valve covers and air filter housings changed over the years. A Holley carb is easily spotted due to its fuel line location. I personally have never looked at casting date codes while judging, and remember the engine judge has no reason to inspect and compare your data plate during judging. Having the correct parts for your year is more important than possibly having a water pump that's 6 months off. JMO Bob C
To add to what Bob's saying, where it can make a difference is if a person goes for the Authenticity (for restored cars) and/or Wixom Preservation (for non-restored/"survivor" cars) evaluation, where date codes on castings and such are checked against the scheduled build date. In these scenarios, the objective is to have as many original parts on the car as possible to reflect how it was when first assembled. I have been involved with this program since its inception in developing the list of what's evaluated and as a judge; I have learned over the years that this is a very tough standard to meet unless you truly have an unrestored, untouched car. It does present a rather interesting challenge for someone who's looking to bring a car back to as close to factory-original as possible. Call it going "above and beyond" the average restoration.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster