I'm such a dummy

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

cmcclean

I'm such a dummy

Post by cmcclean »

So I just rebuilt my carb and have been out in the mornings to fine tune the cold choke idle etc. One time I forgot to pull the car cover off the back (covers exhaust), started it and it was running really rich. I think I have stained the paint just above the exhaust on the rear quarters and deck lid. Its not bad but I can see it. It wont come off with just regular soap and water. Does anybody have any ideas on cleaning this ? Help!
gyoungwolf

Re: I'm such a dummy

Post by gyoungwolf »

try some toothpaste with a damp rag on a spot that is out of sight. If it works, then some polishing compound should do it for you. If not, you might have to take it to a professional in a body shop. Worst case, if you have good classic car insurance, it should be covered under your comprehensive clause. Best of luck,
Grant
"The Carbmeister"
1962 Light Blue Convertible
1972 Caddy Hearse (for sale)
2005 Jag XK8 Convertible
2006 Silverado RST Intimidator SS
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day,
Try some car polish, that usually removes tar and other grease marks.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

You might try bug remover in a spray..... or a soft cloth with gas to wipe the area this will work also. If your car has wax it's best to strip the wax first it seems that the carbon is on the wax surface, That's way the soap and water trick is not working.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
cmcclean

Post by cmcclean »

I'm hoping its just in the wax. That makes more sense than my fear that the rich exhaust softened the paint enough the soot stuck to it :sad:
63flip

Post by 63flip »

Try a Mr. Clean magic eraser. I've used them on every vehicle I own to clean scuffs and other stuff off. I always try it in an out of the way spot the 1st time on a vehicle. I also always use a brand new one on painted surfaces. That way there's nothing in it that may scratch the finish. They've always worked for me and I've never had an issue with them damaging a finish.