Weatherproofing and the weatherstrip from hell

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

masoncp13

Weatherproofing and the weatherstrip from hell

Post by masoncp13 »

While I was spending a semester at college, my father took it upon himself to order new weatherstripping for my 62 bird, which was great because that would allow us to move forward on the interior. What we did not realize was that the weatherstripping delivered by Thunderbird headquarters (Don Carter is the brand of the rubber we think) is god awful. It pushed the glass out so much that i had to cut the entire front fin of it off so that the doors would close. Along the a-pillars i practically have a waterfall onto my legs and floorboards. Are there any other brands that would be an improvement; I'm tired of pulling my hair out over something that seems so simple
63flip

Re: Weatherproofing and the weatherstrip from hell

Post by 63flip »

I just received the trunk lid weatherstripping for my 63 conv from Macs. I haven't installed it yet but a quick side by side comparison and they appeared to match very nicely. I hope to have it installed in the next week or two. This is the first weather stripping I've ordered to replace. Hopefully it goes smoothly. I know its not door stripping but it should be an indicator of the quality and fit of Macs product.
stove

Post by stove »

masoncp13 wrote:While I was spending a semester at college, my father took it upon himself to order new weatherstripping for my 62 bird, which was great because that would allow us to move forward on the interior. What we did not realize was that the weatherstripping delivered by Thunderbird headquarters (Don Carter is the brand of the rubber we think) is god awful. It pushed the glass out so much that i had to cut the entire front fin of it off so that the doors would close. Along the a-pillars i practically have a waterfall onto my legs and floorboards. Are there any other brands that would be an improvement; I'm tired of pulling my hair out over something that seems so simple
Been there done that, EXACTLY! "Tapco" brand. What a maddening nightmare! I was able to re-purchase the (very expensive) drip rail weatherstrips, from
Dennis Carpenter. He has his own house brand... It's still not as good as OE, but at least its functional, and you can still use the doors!!

http://dennis-carpenter.com/roof-rail-w ... 351222-PR/
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
gyoungwolf

Post by gyoungwolf »

It's really sad that the only way to have to find out about bad quality parts is after someone has been taken for a ride.
Grant
"The Carbmeister"
1962 Light Blue Convertible
1972 Caddy Hearse (for sale)
2005 Jag XK8 Convertible
2006 Silverado RST Intimidator SS
roadster601

Post by roadster601 »

welcome to the wonderful world of restoration
roadster601

Post by roadster601 »

with all the top quality restorers here ya they would post the best reproducer of any thing to be used on our birdswould make our jobs so easy to produce quality cars we all can be proud of just saying
texastomeh

Post by texastomeh »

Really sorry to hear about your problems.

Don't want to sound like I am trying to "rub salt into the wounds", but doing a SEARCH and asking questions before taking the leap of a purchase and/or installation can often (actually = usually) save a LOT of headaches.

I am a wealth of advice based on actual experience on how NOT to do it!! :oops: :oops:

There are quite a few guys on here that actually know what they are talking about and how to do it right or at least an acceptable work-around!! :idea: :idea:

You would be absolutely amazed at the problems that have been solved with a pencil eraser and a bowling ball :roll: :roll: .

GOOD LUCK!! :mrgreen:

Tom
Tom Hartfield
"GROWING old was GREAT! BEING old SUCKS!"
"Seems like all the guys that know how to fix America are too busy working on old cars!"
'63 TBird HT
1927 BUGATTI Type 35C Replica
TR186 Triton Bass Boat
masoncp13

Post by masoncp13 »

I know, but I wasn't around to make the purchase. The car wasn't driveable for my first semester of college so it stayed at home and all this happened while I was gone. But the weatherstrip he purchased, which was probably the Dennis Carpenter one that was linked here cause Don Carter isn't a real company, has seriously mixed reviews online, some people seem to swear by it while others avoid it like the plague (according to my father)
masoncp13

Post by masoncp13 »

stove wrote:
masoncp13 wrote:While I was spending a semester at college, my father took it upon himself to order new weatherstripping for my 62 bird, which was great because that would allow us to move forward on the interior. What we did not realize was that the weatherstripping delivered by Thunderbird headquarters (Don Carter is the brand of the rubber we think) is god awful. It pushed the glass out so much that i had to cut the entire front fin of it off so that the doors would close. Along the a-pillars i practically have a waterfall onto my legs and floorboards. Are there any other brands that would be an improvement; I'm tired of pulling my hair out over something that seems so simple
Been there done that, EXACTLY! "Tapco" brand. What a maddening nightmare! I was able to re-purchase the (very expensive) drip rail weatherstrips, from
Dennis Carpenter. He has his own house brand... It's still not as good as OE, but at least its functional, and you can still use the doors!!

http://dennis-carpenter.com/roof-rail-w ... 351222-PR/
Stove, what was your experience with Dennis Carpenter, because my weatherstripping is hard as a rock and puts a bind on the doors almost to the point that they don't shut
stove

Post by stove »

The Dennis Carpenter product was nice and soft (could have been softer), and is what I currently have installed on the car. 99% water/wind sealed, the doors close, windows function. The first product I purchased was a brand called TAPCO, and was completely un-usable trash, rock hard, door would NOT close, and 100% leakage. Nothing would have allowed them to work.
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

What stove said! :thumbup: Definitely use DC products. They might be a bit more expensive but you won't be buying twice!

Ozzy
"The sour memory of a dud purchase is remembered long after the sweet taste of a cheap deal has disappeared"
1961 T-bird H/T Silver-Gray Metallic/Raven Black roof.
1971 Ford Falcon 351 XYGT-Nugget Gold.
VTCI #11702
Adelaide, South Australia.
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

Thanks for this advice! Now the question is - will I remember it by the time I get around to doing weatherstripping? :roll:
Steve
'62 Landau

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"...
VTCI #11678
caseyc

Post by caseyc »

Hi All,
It is getting REALLY exciting! I am getting to the point where I am going to be ready for new weatherstriping and I do not know what direction to go. Many on this post seem to like dennis carpenters weatherstrippping products, but they dont have pics in the catalog so you cant see what you are buying. What about Birds nest? any thoughts? Anyone use the birds nest weatherstripping product?
CASEY C
62 tbird,41 chevy pickup project, 46 cadillac project
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

I can't tell you for sure about Bird Nest, but I know other T-Bird suppliers sell Carpenter products without necessarily naming them. Mac's is one, for example. I recently bought front & rear window seals from them that turned out to be Carpenter.
Steve
'62 Landau

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"...
VTCI #11678
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

63flip wrote: Thu May 12, 2016 6:13 pm I just received the trunk lid weatherstripping for my 63 conv from Macs. I haven't installed it yet but a quick side by side comparison and they appeared to match very nicely. I hope to have it installed in the next week or two. This is the first weather stripping I've ordered to replace. Hopefully it goes smoothly. I know its not door stripping but it should be an indicator of the quality and fit of Macs product.
63flip, let me know how that goes for you (esp re glue or sealant required?) - trunk lid weatherstripping is on my top 10 to-do list for my 62.
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N