'67 Tudor Landau

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
birdstheword

'67 Tudor Landau

Post by birdstheword »

Hello all, found this place searching for info on my new project. I didn't see any place for newbie introductions... :D I've been lurking here & at fordfe.com gleaning what I can for the past couple of months, looking forward to getting input & advice from the knowledge base here. :)

this is how she sits now... I've stripped the roof since the pic...

this is where I'm hoping to go... 445 stroker... etc.

Bill
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Welcome aboard, Bill!
I've always liked that body style in its two-door version, looks like you've got a great car to start with there, too .
But WOW, that last pic!?! :shock: That's a knock-out! Now THAT I might even consider giving up my '66 for! :thumbright: Wowwww
Best of luck with your build, and please keep us up-dated!
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
birdstheword

Post by birdstheword »

Thanks for the welcome. :) I think this model of Thunderbird is really overlooked potential-wise, I've only been able to find a couple 67-69's that have been resto'd/modded on the internet. That last pic is a photoshop, when I was deciding whether or not to pick this one up I played with a few options to see how it'd look. It was a free car, so it wasn't a hard choice to make... :idea:

I like the lines of this car as a roadster, but too much work for me.

I don't really like the look of cowl induction, so I'm planning on cutting the hood, simply because I don't want to be confined by it when building the engine. Considering how far back the engine sits, I think cutting a notch out of the back of the hood and building the scoop as part of the air cleaner/cold air assembly will be easier than trying to blend a scoop into the hood, although I still have to figure out what that will do to the hood structually.
On to a little tech... When stripping the roof, I found that the trim around the rear window had trapped debris & moisture and cause a little bit of rot. It's really the only rot I've been able to find as of yet, but I'm not sure how I should go about fixing it.

driver's side-

pass side-

Considering that this part of the car is covered by vinyl, is cutting it out & replacing with a patch panel warranted? Could I get away with using something like a rust converter/POR15/body filler and epoxy-primering over it? It's only eaten a hole thru on the passenger side. It doesn't seem to have caused any problems in the trunk yet, the drain tubes that run from the 'vent' below the rear window were rotten, and had caused a little surface rust in the bottom of the trunk, but nothing major.
How does the rest of the trim around the roof come off? The rear window trim was easy enough to get off without tweaking, but I don't like to force things without knowing how it's made to come off... :?:

I removed all the pieces of the grill/headlight assemblies I'm not going to use.

I'm planning on a one-piece black billet grill that the headlights will shine thru. I'm trying to figure out a way to convert the outer lights into combo hi/lo beams, and use the places where the inner 2 lights were for cold air intakes with ducting thru the radiator support to the air cleaner/scoop assembly. Depending on how the new grill looks, I may/not use the grill emblem in the same place.
Some more pics on page 2 of my flickr.
'67 Tudor Landau
'51 GMC Series 150
scumdog

Post by scumdog »

You MIGHT get away with the POR15 and rust-kill trick - but I'd make sure I'd ground as much rust away even before that.

Since it's all pulled down could you not weld in a patch? - if you're going to re-vinyl the roof it wouldn't have to be perfect.
Kiwi Thunderbirder
'66 Town Landau
'55 F100
'37 Ford coupe
'64 Anglia
'05 Ultraglide Classic
stove

Re: '67 Tudor Landau

Post by stove »

Hi all, just thought I'd give this a little bump...
My wife and I purchased this car from the OP in the fall of 2010.
It again sat for several years, in our auto repair shop. Until recently!

This cool car is getting a new lease on life now, complete with a color change (Raven Black)
And a year correct, completely rebuilt 428, along with several other unique goodies. Here's some
pics of the progress... Enjoy!

ImageImage
Last edited by stove on Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
john6t6

Post by john6t6 »

Looking good
1966 Hardtop Sauterne Gold
VTCI #4065
stove

Post by stove »

Getting real close now guys!!! Feel free to fire away with any and all questions!
Also, Mods, I wish this was not in the "Modified" forum, as I don't think this build qualifies for that title

Gab69tbird

Post by Gab69tbird »

Beautiful car. Love the red pin stripe on the tires.
stove

Post by stove »

Pretty much DONE!!! Got to be invited to the "featured" 1% crowd in a 2000 plus car, car show.

poweroptions

Post by poweroptions »

That's frickin BITCHIN Steve ! What a awesome job you did. I see the detail and a helluva lot of work. Love the red lines too. I see the #@* end lit up in LED. I'll convert ours too. Pat
1966 Thunderbird convertible, 1967 2 door Thunderbird, 1969 Mark III, 1972 Buick Riviera, 1973 Mark IV silver luxury , 1978 full glass top Town Car, 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe , 1983 Mercedes 300SD, 1986 Dodge Power Ram
stove

Post by stove »

Thank you very much!
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I've got a 64 but i like to look around the Forum, Car looks fantastic. Black on Black on Black looks amazing. Congrats on a great job.
Dave
64 Hardtop Burgundy / White Vinyl Roof / Pearl White Interior 17" 5 spoke wheels/ 2" Whitewalls - Melbourne Australia
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

You just don't see a lot of 67-70's anyway (in 5 years of ownership of my 69, I have only ever seen 1 other), so to see one that has had so much love put into her is great.

Thanks for posting!
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
stove

Post by stove »

Thank you!

Though I love them both, the '67 is a much finer vehicle than my '63, fit finish, overall quality, ride, handling... The list goes on.

Here's a couple more pics!

poweroptions

Post by poweroptions »

SLICK as _hit. Steve awesome addition of the tach.
1966 Thunderbird convertible, 1967 2 door Thunderbird, 1969 Mark III, 1972 Buick Riviera, 1973 Mark IV silver luxury , 1978 full glass top Town Car, 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe , 1983 Mercedes 300SD, 1986 Dodge Power Ram