will not shut off

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

tyrone

will not shut off

Post by tyrone »

Just took the bird off of jack stands change the oil started her up since she hasn't ran all winter she stated up fine but when i tried to shut her off she kept on running. Had to disconnect the ground cable then jump back in the car turn the key to run then to off. Have anyone else encounter this problem
Lasse

Re: will not shut off

Post by Lasse »

I had a similar experience on my '66 last spring. It wouldn't stop. I was completely staggered, didn't think straight and didn't know what to do. Called a friend of mine who started to laugh, and said: "Disconnect the coil". Of course! But after that we discussed the case, and even though it didn't happen the next time I started it up, I still, just in case, ended up with replacing the starter switch (located next to the radiator on the radiator wall in front of the battery). Till this day, I am not sure if it was the switch, but I've never had the problem since.
Lars Olav Lofthus
Bergen, Norway
mnpetri

Post by mnpetri »

I had this with a 1980-era car once, it was the ignition switch (in the column for that car). Fortunately, that car was a 4-spd and I could just stall it with the clutch :roll:
Good luck.
Mark
VTCI # 11024
65 Special Landau #1485
66 Sunbeam Tiger
tyrone

Post by tyrone »

Yeah figure it was the switch but love to share with the group and in case of something odd ball that i would never think of
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

tyrone wrote:Yeah figure it was the switch but love to share with the group and in case of something odd ball that i would never think of
I had this happen on my 64 when it was new to me. For me, the problem was some bare wires at the base of the column where the previous owner had jumped the neutral safety switch.

~Steve
bwssr

Post by bwssr »

I had the same thing happen and I replaced the solenoid. That took care of it.
I was in the army stationed at Ft. Lewis in November 1973. I bought my 65 Thunderbird near there and was hooked on Thunderbirds ever since.
tyrone

Post by tyrone »

I have replaced all but the wire in the colum i didnt have thise problem before i put her up for the winter but have replace the stater relay, ign switch and the key cylinder still having that poroblem
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

tyrone wrote:I have replaced all but the wire in the colum i didnt have thise problem before i put her up for the winter but have replace the stater relay, ign switch and the key cylinder still having that poroblem
You may have an open short somewhere. It's a pain, but get hold of a wiring diagram & trace the wires. I'd start @ the switch & work from there.

~Steve
tyrone

Post by tyrone »

To stevie yeah it was a short alright but not on the bird, I was looking at the batt cables and they did not look to good so I ordered new cables and while I was puting them on I saw where I ran a wire to the pertronics and it must be a constant voltage points cause once I put it back to where I first had it she turns right off. Now I wish the charging was that easy.
tyrone