New Member With A New Car

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Willwll313wll

New Member With A New Car

Post by Willwll313wll »

Good morning everyone! I'm excited :multi:.

A little about myself:
23 years old
Born and raised in Detroit, MI
Currently serving in the US Military
Ford/Lincoln love

A little about my car:
I just bought it a couple days ago
My first project car
1970 Ford Thunderbird
Plum in color, really dark...
First time ever seeing a this make and model in person, or anywhere that I can remember

What it needs right now:
Interior is pretty beat up
Body good but needs paint and trim restoration
Motor really strong but needs carb rebuilt
Possible vacuum leak
Needs full exhaust
Plan on rebuilding motor
A couple electrical things

I can upload more pics if you guys want. But yeah... Hi everyone!!
RAVEN

Re: New Member With A New Car

Post by RAVEN »

Welcome. Glad to see more activity in this area of the forum, and cars are surfacing. It is great that another car is going to be treasured and used. Keep us posted on your adventures.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
motley1987

Post by motley1987 »

Nice ride! I got my 68 a couple months ago and I love it. Good luck with the vacuum leak. My headlights don't open and I'm having issues with the wipers. Unfortunately the two things I love the most about them are the headlights and tail lights and they seem to be the most problematic. Good luck and have fun!

Ben
Willwll313wll

Post by Willwll313wll »

Thanks guys! I'm hoping to get started sometime this weekend or next weekend at the latest. I'll probably make a separate topic for it just to get you guys updated and the story going.
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

The 1970 was the year I was looking for when I found the 69 I bought.

Love the rear end on the 70, a nice touch of fastback, and a new take on the 68 tail lights.

Have fun with it!
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
Gab69tbird

Post by Gab69tbird »

Welcome, good luck with the new ride. I'm sure you will learn a lot from the folks here.
Willwll313wll

Post by Willwll313wll »

I plan on rebuilding my carb this weekend. I don't know much about them. Anything I should know? This is my first car with a carb. Can I just buy a rebuild kit from autozone? Is anything specific to this car or issues I should know about?
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Some recomeds: A good cleaner I have found is "KLEEN>FLO" carb and metal parts cleaner, made by a company in Brampton Ontario. Not sure if where you live it exists, but check. Warning though, it stinks and should not be used in the house. If spilled it is like having a skunk in the house. Also wear rubber gloves as it seems to get in the pores and nothing washes it off, time will be the only way the smell goes away, by shedding 4 layers of skin. Trust me on this, or your wife/girlfriend will be a distance away, and being ignored on a Friday nite is not my party.
Secondly, check the carb kit for a power valve, some do not have it and it may need to be purchased separately.
Taking your time and noting where every check ball and float valve fits and sits will be to your advantage. It is not difficult just tedious.
Have fun.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Willwll313wll

Post by Willwll313wll »

Updates! (Along with random questions)

So the carb was rebuilt yesterday and installed today. It was running really rough, if at all before but now it's running fairly smooth. The guy that helped me is an older guy who owns and work at an auto restoration shop here. He said he has done hundreds of rebuilds and has never seen a carb so full of gunk, and it was missing a internal part.

Quick video of me revving the engine... Engine is strong but the exhaust is pretty much non existent.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zedkpj065j329 ... 1.mp4?dl=0

I'm pretty stoked I got it running smooth. My first project!! :crazyeyes: I'm still trying to understand adjusting the Air/Fuel mix though...

Now on to my amateur questions...

1. Disregard... Found my answer.

2. So this "ID Fuel Hose".... It's not connected to anything... Is it supposed to be? The hose looks new...

3. This air filter is so messed up... Do any one know of where I can buy all of it new? Including the screw that holds it down. And this hose that's coming from it that isnt connected to anything, What is it and where does it go if anywhere?

4. What's this? And it's purpose? :robot:

Sorry if these questions seem kind of stupid. I'm slightly experienced with working on more modern engines. I'll also admit that I didnt take time to find the answer to a couple of those questions myself, just figured it would be easier and a bit more fun to involve you guys!

I really appreciate you guys time! Seriously.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Hi,

I own a 64, and am not experienced with your 70, but heck, I'll bite.

The small-dimension hose is a mystery; not relevant to my engine. Possibly it attaches to a copper tube coming out of one of your exhaust manifolds; if correct, then the upper end should attach to a vacuum nipple on the carb. This is where things are confusing; your Edelbrock is not the original carburetor, so I can't guess how that attachment is made. Second guess is whether your engine has vacuum advance on the distributor, and is missing a hose. Sorry, they're only guesses. Corrections welcome.

The larger hose that you're holding is part of the pollution (PCV) system; that's a PCV right on the end of it. It should fit into a breather cap on one of your valve covers. The teed hoses on the opposite side of the air cleaner are also part of the PCV system. Notice that one is attached to a breather cap on a valve cover.

I am pretty sure your air cleaner assembly is original, but I might be wrong. I wish someone with this car would chime in. If you're trying to source a replacement air cleaner, Ebay is probably your best choice. You do have one of the more rare years, so get used to looking around. It is a great looking car. I'd love to see more pictures of it. Good luck.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Willwll313wll

Post by Willwll313wll »

Thank you!! I appreciate your response.

Yeah it is the original air cleaner assembly.

I will post more pictures of it this weekend probably. I know everyone loves pictures. :mrgreen:

Hopefully someone with the same motor will reply to give me a little bit more insight if possible. I just received the shop manuals I ordered online. I'll see if I can find information there as well.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I just received the shop manuals I ordered online. I'll see if I can find information there as well.
=D> =D> =D> =D>
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Tritack

Post by Tritack »

Hi Joe. I will try and help with what I have learned from messing with my 70.

#2 if it is coming of your distributor it should go to the front of your carb and is the distro advance
#3 I think it is called a PCV valve that comes off the rear of your passenger valve cover and connects back to front of Carb or if you have the spacer still to the rear of it. I have mine connected to the front since I switch out carbs also.
#4 should have a longer hose on it and connect back to the air cleaner housing on the side. If I can remember that was because of the emissions for the 70's and the smoke (?) from the oil heating up went back into the system. it look like from the picture yours is hooked up.

Now disclaimer: I am a shade tree mechanic but bought the manuals and try to read up a lot before I go messing with my car. I might be wrong or called something the wrong name. But I welcome the corrections because it just helps me learn better.

I also sent you a message so I can send you some pictures since I have not had a chance to set up an account to post pics.

Aaron
Willwll313wll

Post by Willwll313wll »

I have the shop manual but I'm having trouble finding information...

Can someone explain the circuit panel to me? I know what it does but I don't know how to solve issues with it. For ex. In a house, you would just switch it back.

A few things in my car aren't working like my brake lights (turn on when lights are on but does nothing when you or push the brake), turn signals, horn, etc. and I'm trying to trouble shoot.

Thank you.
19THUNDERBIRD78

Post by 19THUNDERBIRD78 »

Welcome and your car looks awesome. Love to see front pics of it. Im not much of a mechanic. But this is the best place to ask your questions. Lots of good advice : )
Mike
Michael Grajales
1978 Thunderbird
Cherry valley Massachusetts
Vintage Thunderbird Club international Member#12358