Oil Additives

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

MikeB

Oil Additives

Post by MikeB »

I have a question about this. A co-worker was was reading one of his "hot rod" magazines. There was an article about todays oils not having enough zinc in them. This is supposed to cause premature cam lobe and engine wear. From what I understand, we're supposed to be adding a zinc based additive to our oils. Has anyone else heard this? What are your opinions? He said the additive he bought runs about $13.00 a bottle.
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
60fore

Post by 60fore »

An alternative to using an additive is to use an oil formulated for diesel engines, such as Shell's Rotella. These oils apparently have a higher zinc content than oil for gas engines. Many members of my local club swear by this stuff.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I'm not sure if it's true or not. I've heard that oil made for diesels aren't good for gas engines.
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Just did a search of this forum for "rotella" and the general concensus seems to be that diesel-formulated oil won't hurt a gas engine at all. In fact, the extra zinc provides more protection for those all-important bearings. On a somewhat-related side note, when I read the ingredients on the bottle of the lead substitute I'm adding to my gas, I was surprised to find that it contained diesel fuel.