w00t!

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
TheMadTurtle

w00t!

Post by TheMadTurtle »

Wow! Thunderbird forums!!! This is sweet! I'm just posting to get these boards rollin'! I'm a recent VTCI member. My '58 hardtop got third in the display division in Dearborn this last year. I'm also a VTCIn and an HVTC member and you can check out my photo albums on my web site at www.sewerden.com

It's just my personal blog so it's not always about Thunderbirds, but I keep the photo albums up from events I attend. The albums are on the left of the page just below the weather.

Enjoy! :lol:

-Scott
www.hoosierthunderbird.com

-'58 Thunderbird Hardtop
-'67 Thunderbird Hardtop
-'50 Hudson Pacemaker
Travlin

Re: w00t!

Post by Travlin »

TheMadTurtle wrote:Wow! Thunderbird forums!!! This is sweet! I'm just posting to get these boards rollin'! I'm a recent VTCI member. My '58 hardtop got third in the display division in Dearborn this last year. I'm also a VTCIn and an HVTC member and you can check out my photo albums on my web site at www.sewerden.com

-Scott
Hey Scott! Newbie here -- Checked out some of your pics. I must say that you have some great Bird pics!

I also have a '58; bought her in Bloomington a few months ago. You folks have some harsh winters up there -- Not good for old T-Birds (like mine).

I only hope that my Bird will one day look half as good as yours.
TheMadTurtle

Welcome!

Post by TheMadTurtle »

Hi JD!

Welcome to VTCI! This is a great group of people and will be a huge resource for your new baby 'bird, as I'm sure you'll see.

Glad you liked the pics! I try and put lots of pics up on my site from the various car shows I go to every summer and I've gotten a lot of good responses from various car enthusiasts - not just the Thunderbird fans (although I'm biased).

Looks like you've got a fun project there! SWEET! Hey, maybe you can help me with a riddle I was recently confronted with....

My '58 also has a 390 in it. Although I was told it was out of a '62 Thunderbird, a recent road trip to Moline, IL has me skeptical. About 90 miles outside of Moline my harmonic balancer slipped off! Now, I was extremely fortunate to have a good samaritan happen by that called a local yard and found me another one and helped me replace it, BUT, here's the quandry - the old harmonic balancer had a single pulley actually seated on top of the balancer - with some kind of rubber seal - like it was pressed. This seal wore away and the pulley slipped off. When I got the replacement, it had the balancer behind a double pulley. I wasn't sure that was right (because it wasn't like the one off my car) so I walked out in the yard to where they had another 390 and it was the same deal as the first one they pulled off for me.

Turns out, the harmonic balancer I got from the salvage yard lined up even better with the power steering pump than the old one! I'm wondering if your 390 has this single pulley balancer or the double one. Can you look for me? I'm also wondering if the old harmonic balancer wasn't the one that matched up with the 352 engine that was initially in my car. If your 390 (I think you said it came out of a truck) has the harmonic balancer like mine, then I'm skeptical the my engine realy did come out of a '62 T-bird. If it is like mine and you want the correct balancer, I can give you this place's info and you can give them a call. I know they've got another one! ;-) Actually, you should post what parts your looking for. I'm sure there are other people in the club like me that have a small collection of misc. parts that we can hook you up with. I don't have much, but I've got a set of tail light bezels that are used and need to be cleaned up, but they're not too bad, and some other misc. trim pieces if you need them.

Anyone else have any ideas on my harmonic balancer?

-'58 Thunderbird Hardtop
-'67 Thunderbird Hardtop
-'50 Hudson Pacemaker
Travlin

Re: Welcome!

Post by Travlin »

TheMadTurtle wrote:Hi JD!

Welcome to VTCI! This is a great group of people and will be a huge resource for your new baby 'bird, as I'm sure you'll see.
Thank you! So far I would have to agree with you!
TheMadTurtle wrote:Glad you liked the pics! I try and put lots of pics up on my site from the various car shows I go to every summer and I've gotten a lot of good responses from various car enthusiasts - not just the Thunderbird fans (although I'm biased).
You DO have some great examples of this fine lady's lineage. ;)
TheMadTurtle wrote:Looks like you've got a fun project there! SWEET! Hey, maybe you can help me with a riddle I was recently confronted with....
Not so fun at times. :X She really is a scrap yard refugee. Most folks would probably dismiss her as a parts car due to the cancer. :(

If I can help ... I'm more then happy to!
TheMadTurtle wrote:I'm wondering if your 390 has this single pulley balancer or the double one. Can you look for me?
Mine has a double pully -- One belt to the generator, the other to the power steering pump. Both go over the water pump.
I haven't had a chance to check the block casting numbers yet though.
TheMadTurtle

harmonic balancer

Post by TheMadTurtle »

Hmmm....that's just like the new harmonic balancer I put into mine, so if yours is out of a truck, I wonder if mine is as well. Who knows what that wierd old balancer was out of...

Anyone know if the harmonic balancer on the 390 engine in a Thunderbird was just like the ones in same vintage Ford trucks or not? I guess it doesn't matter too much now. Everything lines up perfectly with the new balancer

Thanks!

-'58 Thunderbird Hardtop
-'67 Thunderbird Hardtop
-'50 Hudson Pacemaker
Travlin

Re: harmonic balancer

Post by Travlin »

TheMadTurtle wrote:Hmmm....that's just like the new harmonic balancer I put into mine, so if yours is out of a truck, I wonder if mine is as well. Who knows what that wierd old balancer was out of...

Anyone know if the harmonic balancer on the 390 engine in a Thunderbird was just like the ones in same vintage Ford trucks or not? I guess it doesn't matter too much now. Everything lines up perfectly with the new balancer

Thanks!
I guess you could check out some of your Bird's engine casting numbers -- intake, heads, water pump, etc.