Mystery wire question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

wabigoon

Mystery wire question

Post by wabigoon »

In the picture the wires are from the centre console area, map light, clock and the three red lights ( low fuel, door ajar, and flasher lights). The wires are from the old harness. The new harness has the same wires. Question, were does the white wire go to from the red plug. Can not find it in the wiring books. Is it a mystery wire that I don't have an accessory for. Only wire left. Thanks.

66T-Bird

mystry wire

Post by 66T-Bird »

i believe its for seat belt warning light
skip clark L.I. N.Y.
many happy miles VTCI #964
wabigoon

Post by wabigoon »

Should have said this is a 1964. The seat belt light works fine and you shut it off by pushing the actual light on the console. If it is for a seat belt light maybe they were getting ready for a change and added the wire.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Is your clock plugged in? Looks like the ground wire. JMO Bob c
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
wabigoon

Post by wabigoon »

No it's not the clock wire, that's all hook up and running, but thanks for the try.
john6t6

Post by john6t6 »

I'm just guessing here but I'm wondering if it may be for a power antenna option??
1966 Hardtop Sauterne Gold
VTCI #4065
paulr

Post by paulr »

No factory power antenna option for '64. The only spade terminal like that within the clock pod housing is the mated to the washer switch. Mine hasn't been apart for over a year, so I'm having trouble with that red insulator plug.
I recall the 3 "safety/convenience" bulbs having the red/yellow/green insulators, but there wasn't second red one like that in the vicinity, and Osborne hasn't got it in the schematic either.

I'm about to install an NOS flasher switch I got from Pat Wilson, so I'll get a look inside.

Paul
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
wabigoon

Post by wabigoon »

Thanks, and if you could a couple of pictures would help
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

It is in the Electrical Assembly manual. Look at the Safety Convenience Panel parts diagram. It is tied into the ground circuit for the washer switch. Instead of the ground wire for the washer switch going directly to the switch it hooks to one of the wires off of the red connector. The other one off of the red connector goes to the washer switch.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
wabigoon

Post by wabigoon »

I have been working on this for the last hour or so tracing wires and just looked at your reply. Yes I believe it taps into the washer switch and supplies power to the door ajar light. Many thanks to everyone.
Just a note, when you remove the dash and replace all vacuum hoses, all wiring harness, repair steering column and heater ducts take more than 2 pictures and label more than 5 wires.
paulr

Post by paulr »

wabigoon
Thanks, and if you could a couple of pictures would help
You're all done, so this comes too late, but I can't resist a good mystery. As you can see by the evidence our cars are built differently, and I'd have to guess this is due to build dates. My late Feb. '64 build date reflects what the Osborne graphic shows that the red connector and the white washer wire do not connect directly, or at least not that can be seen outside of the wrap. The fine print on that graphic is dated as a 3 Feb, '64 revision and there are 8 separate revisions on the page, so if your car was built after November '63 and before that date, that may explain the different wiring.
My car is the same as this graphic; the white wires go to the washer switch. I sometimes wonder why these changes got made; I get too easily fascinated by this kind of stuff. It must be kind of a sickness. I know it ticks me off when the running engineering changes don't match exactly how my car was built, but then I hope that's what this bunch is here to help with. Enjoy your new harness. Best,

Paul
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
wabigoon

Post by wabigoon »

Thanks Guys all back together and first show

6t6

Post by 6t6 »

what a nice looking car!