Another Pertronix question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

franklin

Another Pertronix question

Post by franklin »

Got the Ignitor and Flamethrower coil.
What is the easiest way to bypass the resistor wire? Make a replacement wire to snap in where the pink wire is under the dash?
I havent looked under the dash at all yet, so I dont know what to expect.
I hover between the right, easiest, and sometimes cleverest ways to do things. And, as we all know, sometimes any of them are hard. Thanks guys. Frank
1966 town hardtop 390 z code
franklin

Post by franklin »

I think I found my own solution. Spoke with Pertronix and they have a kit thats all underhood to bypass resistor wire. I went to NAPA and got a relay. Pertronix sent me a wiring diagram. One inch square black box and a few wires. Can revert back to stock easily as the ignition wire isnt tampered with, just connected to the relay.
Jaylan_Bates

Post by Jaylan_Bates »

what is that wire for , I was wondering?
1966 T-Bird hrdtp
fast Ed

Post by fast Ed »

Wish we had thought of that when doing the install on my 66, D'OH!

cheers
Ed
88 Turbo Coupe manual
07 Mustang GT hardtop
previous Birds:
66 Town Hardtop
95 Super Coupe manual
franklin

Post by franklin »

Which wire are you referring to Jaylan? The resistor wire is under the dash and creates a drop in voltage to around 6ish to the coil when the car starts. it keeps the coil from burning up. With some upgraded ignition systems the coils need a full 12 volts. I think that`s kinda right,,,,

What I dont understand is, if the voltage goes up to 12 when the car is running, why need the bypass? Just for starting?
Jaylan_Bates

Post by Jaylan_Bates »

the resistor wire... because I have the igniter 3 coil and distributor and im not sure if I need to preform this task but since you have. I will take your advice and go ahead and do it. and yes that makes no sense to me either.
1966 T-Bird hrdtp
franklin

Post by franklin »

I can email you the stuff Pertronix sent me on how to wire the resistor if you would like. There are 2 pdf`s that describe the wiring great. My email is flilawsa@msn.com
scumdog

Post by scumdog »

I used the resistor wire to activate a relay when ignition was on and hence supply a full 12V to the coil for my Pertronix.

The 12V to the relay came from the + side of the starter relay.
Kiwi Thunderbirder
'66 Town Landau
'55 F100
'37 Ford coupe
'64 Anglia
'05 Ultraglide Classic
WC145

Post by WC145 »

I never messed with the resistor wire, I'm getting a full 12v to the coil all the time.
Fire it up and Let's Go Cruising! www.letsgocruising.org
franklin

Post by franklin »

Well how the heck did you do that!? :hairhair8: I was hoping, but when I checkd the voltage to the coil, it was about 6ish. Im just glad I can do this from under the hood. I plan to install everything some time this week, and hope it helps with the rough idle and finicky starting.
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

i must have missed something as well.i have the same set up and i just connected the flamethrower coil like the original.Maybe i should check and see what its getting to the coil to.So just to understand you should be getting 12v to the coil at all times?
WC145

Post by WC145 »

Don't know why it is that way but I've checked it key on/not running and running and it runs fine, full voltage all the time.
Fire it up and Let's Go Cruising! www.letsgocruising.org
tyrone

Post by tyrone »

Found a wire harness sold by summit where you do not have to cut any wires
franklin

Post by franklin »

I saw that also. I went to NAPA and bought the relay. I hope to put all that stuff on this weekend.
franklin

Post by franklin »

Everything was easy to install. It does seem to run smoother and respond a bit better. The hard part is going to be changing the plugs!!!! I miss my Chevys!!!