Parking break hint

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Zkroland

Parking break hint

Post by Zkroland »

I spent some time under the dash replacing some vacuum lines and got the parking break release working great! Then I noticed that when the parking break is set, the car still rolls like nothing happened.
Before I start crawling around, please tell me where to find the cable that runs to the rear breaks. I just quickly checked under the left door sill and expected to see it, but, No. Thanks
1965 Special Landau
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

You should find it up along the firewall, behind the brake pedal, under the steering column. It looks like a steel-wound cable sheath, and should be clamped down tight. I believe it exits near the transmission tunnel.

Do you have a shop manual? The procedure for adjusting the cable should be there, and probably (haven't done this myself) it's done under the car where the cable splits to the two rear wheels.

~Steve
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

There's probably nothing wrong with the cables - check the adjusters are working OK in the rear drums first. Jack the car up and see if the foot BRAKE is working.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
franklin

Post by franklin »

I just looked into this. The cables moved okay, I ended up pulling the wheels and drums to adjust the brakes as adjusting from the backing plate was a pain. that helped. Then I adjusted the cable tension where the 2 cables meet near the transmission at the one adjuster nut. Between the two it works great now.
If you need further assistance, let my know and can be more specific.
1966 town hardtop 390 z code
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

If the rear brakes are found to be out of adjustment, it would be good to check the the auto-adjusting mechanism is in good condition. You should be able to bend the cable, release it quickly and see the adjusting star turn (in the correct direction).
franklin

Post by franklin »

Good point. I will be replacing the shoes in the near future ( along with brake cylinders) and will try to check that. I really didnt know how to check if they are working. I thought there was something about self adjusting when in reverse and the brakes are applied? Or am I thinking thats late model cars?
1966 town hardtop 390 z code
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

I always heard that too, growing up. But looking at how the self-adjustment works, they should adjust when the brakes are pressed now matter which direction you're moving.
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

The rears only adjust when reversing. I thought this odd at first but after studying the shop manual it is correct. When going forward the top of the rear (trailing) shoe is forced against the post by the direction of travel of the drum and no movement of the adjuster cable occurs. When the brake is applied on reversing the trailing shoe is moved away from the post a small amount causing the cable to move and operate the adjuster.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I used this video in the brake clinic I put on for our club last year. It demonstrates the way the shoes rotate in the drum, although it exaggerates the distances. Also, the self adjust lever never really leaves the surface of the star wheel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnc3VnQ8kUY. To self adjust, the rear shoe must rotate (in reverse) to move far enough to pull the cable. hope this helps, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop