Need to hold shifter up to start car?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

billkexel

Need to hold shifter up to start car?

Post by billkexel »

My backup lights stopped working & the fuses, etc were fine. The garage told me that I needed a new neutral safety switch.

I had them replace it. The backup lights now work, but in order to be able to start the car (in park) I must hold the shifter up. I never had this problem before.

The garage told me that in order to correct it, I would need to have to have the steering column taken apart & new shifter parts installed.

This sounds whacked to me. I never had this problem before replacing that switch. Does this sound correct? or is there another way to solve this?

Thanks!
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

If the internal column parts get worn enough it makes it impossible to adjust the NSS to start the car in both P and N so yes, it's possible.
And it can be impossible to adjust it properly with a repop switch anyway.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
nbaum

neutrtal safty switch

Post by nbaum »

There are really two adjustments that can be made to the neutral safety switch. The first is with the screws that attach the switch to the column. Inside the column below the switch are some contacts. These contacts are on a sleeve that is really only a friction fit to the interior of the column. If this sleeve moves for any reason it could cause the problem you have. Remove the neutral safety switch and with a screw driver move the interior contact sleeve a little bit in the proper direction so that in park the car starts. Replace and adjust the neutral safety switch. I think this will solve your problem.
2014 Corvette convertible
1993 Cadillac Allante factory hardtop Pearl Red
2016 Lexus RX350
1992 Cadillac Allante Bright red
1930 Ford model A Cabriolet
2005 Chevrolet SSR
30psi

Post by 30psi »

I have the same issue. Never solved it as I've had a few lessons learnt from starting a car that's fallen in to gear, so i'd rather have the hassle of being firm behind the wheel when I do crank it.

But, thanks to nbaum, I may too have a look in to it now :lol:
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

My backup lights stopped working & the fuses, etc were fine. The garage told me that I needed a new neutral safety switch.
I had them replace it. The backup lights now work, but in order to be able to start the car (in park) I must hold the shifter up. I never had this problem before.
The garage told me that in order to correct it, I would need to have to have the steering column taken apart & new shifter parts installed.
This sounds whacked to me. I never had this problem before replacing that switch. Does this sound correct? or is there another way to solve this?
It sounds like a shifter and shift detent problem. This could be a safety problem that you weren't prevoiusly aware of. You will need to take the steering wheel off and replace the parts inside that control the position of the shifter. I have a tutorial at:
http://www.southsandia.com/forum/websit ... etent.html

Once you have a solid shifter, then adjusting the NSS is very simple. It is also simple to take apart and clean. There are some pictures of it disassembled here: http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... hlight=nss
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978
billkexel

Post by billkexel »

ABQTBird wrote:
It sounds like a shifter and shift detent problem. This could be a safety problem that you weren't prevoiusly aware of. You will need to take the steering wheel off and replace the parts inside that control the position of the shifter. I have a tutorial at:
http://www.southsandia.com/forum/websit ... etent.html

Once you have a solid shifter, then adjusting the NSS is very simple. It is also simple to take apart and clean. There are some pictures of it disassembled here: http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... hlight=nss
The shifter position & starting was never had a problem before. Why did it change after the switch was installed? I may try to adjust the switch & see if that works. Thanks!
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

The shifter position & starting was never had a problem before. Why did it change after the switch was installed? I may try to adjust the switch & see if that works. Thanks!
Then adjust the NSS so that it starts without having to push up on the shifter. If the backup lights then fail to come on, you have a shifter/detent problem. Let me know what happens.

When you shift from park to reverse, do you have to pull the shifter toward you to disengage it or is it very easy to put it into reverse?

Tom
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
mjabbasi

Post by mjabbasi »

Glad this topic came up. I went out and checked my car. The shift lever is tight and doesn't not require to be touched when starting the car.
Moin Abbasi

1961 Montecarlo Red Thunderbird Convertible
1962 Nocturne Blue Lincoln Continental Sedan
1963 Premier Yellow Lincoln Continental Convertible
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Glad this topic came up. I went out and checked my car. The shift lever is tight and doesn't not require to be touched when starting the car.
That's good news. The worn shifter/detent seems to be a very common problem and comes up quite frequently on the forum. Mine could have jumped into reverse at any time. There are some pictures somewhere of a poor guy whose car dropped into reverse and smashed his garage door. It's better that it happened there than in a parking lot if he where to have stepped out of the car for a minute while it was idling in park.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
billkexel

Post by billkexel »

ABQTBird wrote:
Then adjust the NSS so that it starts without having to push up on the shifter. If the backup lights then fail to come on, you have a shifter/detent problem. Let me know what happens.

When you shift from park to reverse, do you have to pull the shifter toward you to disengage it or is it very easy to put it into reverse?

Tom
Thanks Nbaum & to all for the suggestions. We got it fixed by following your advice:

When in park, (with a block under the wheel) hold the ignition in the start postion & adjust the NSS until the starter engages, then tighten everything back up. We also tested it in neutral, and in reverse (with engine not running) checked to see if backup lights would come on. All is good.

Luckily, my gear shift is tight/doesn't slip, so it doesn't require me to remove steering wheel, etc.

Best thing: No more having to hold the shifter up when trying to start it.
Too bad the garage that installed it didn't care enough to try & adjust it...or, they were trying to get more $$$ from me for addit/unnessary work?
surfmurf

Holding shift up to Start car

Post by surfmurf »

I had this situation for years and left it that way. It was my secret ANTI-THEFT device. Unfortunately a shop I had the car in about 2 years ago "fixed" it and now it works correctly, but I lost my anti-theft device. Wish they would have left it alone. I knew how to fix it, but didn't want to.
smorgasbird

Post by smorgasbird »

I had a similar problem in my '61. It turned out to be a worn shift lever. I replaced it with a new one and everything worked fine- for a while. That summer I was out of town at a car show, and when I went to leave, the old bird wouldn't start. Turned the key- nothing. Not a sound. I had replaced the battery that week and figured it was bad. So, embarrassing as it was, I asked another participant for a jump ( another Ford owner, of course!) Still nothing. So I looked up under the dash and found a broken wire at the NSS. Earlier that day I had been showing someone the "swing- away" wheel and apparently it broke then. I found out that it is very easy to by-pass the switch, and still haven't got around to replacing it. I just have to remember to check that its in park before turning the key. Now there are no backup lights, but I'm not sure they worked before. Oh well.
Mike S
Grand Rapids, Mi
'61 red HT
jbrantiii

Post by jbrantiii »

I have this problem with my 72 Suburban. Wife called me home from work a few years back. Said she was stuck at the grocery store and was walking the 4 miles home. I left work early, picked her up, went to the grocery store, pushed the column shift handle up and started the truck. The drive home was worth the story that I have been pulling out at parties for years. ;)

Anyway - I believe this is common on all column shift cars. Most likely an internal bushing or other loose joint / connection. Things get old, and like us, start to sag. I know my NSS goes out every once in a while when I'm sitting on the couch...