Rebuilt Transmission

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

dagelh

Rebuilt Transmission

Post by dagelh »

Looking for a rebuilt Cruise-O-Matic for my 1964 Thunderbird. I was going to have mine rebuilt but am having trouble finding anyone to do the work.
1964 Chantilly Beige 2 dr Htp
VTCI Member #11986
Dainbramaged

Post by Dainbramaged »

I've read good stuff about Broader Performance and they do have a section on the Ford Cruise-O-Matic. Try calling them to see about shipping yours to them, they may have a preferred shipper with discount rates. You could also try other performance transmission shops listed in magazines. Most new mechanics are trained on AOD transmissions and don't have a clue about our "Old School" stuff. When I drove my 'Bird from Calif to New Orleans I tried finding a shop with a vacuum gauge. One shop owner said he had one at home but the kids coming out of auto school only know how to plug into the computer do-dad and read a code. Most couldn't diagnose a headache and take an aspirin without a computer telling them to.
Anyway here's a link to Broader

http://www.broaderperformance.com/

Good Luck.
edpol

Post by edpol »

It's probably not fair to generalize when comparing young and old mechanics.
Many older mechanics who worked a lot with old cars when they were new, also have to keep up with new technology if they want to keep their jobs or stay in business. I know a few guys in their '70's who still run shops, still go to classes as technology advances, and update their diagnostic machines on a regular basis.
There are a lot of very young mechanics interested in both old and new technology, and welcome anything the older guys can teach them, and willing to give tech tips to the older guys when they ask.
The middle generation who were just teenagers when they became interested in cars in the '80's, trained on carbed engines, outdated trannies, dizzies with points, as well as newer cars with fuel injection and computerized systems.
Then of course, there are the old and young die-hards who want nothing to do with technology they weren't brought up with.
Like every other trade, there's a full spectrum.
Dainbramaged

Post by Dainbramaged »

My opinion is based on my experiences and I don't care who does or doesn't like it.
Now - Do you have any information or help for the OP (Original Poster)? At least I tried to help.
dagelh

Post by dagelh »

Thanks to everyone for their comments. In the time since I made the original post I finally did find a transmission shop that will pull the transmission, rebuild it, and reinstall all for a little over a $1,000. He even provides a 3-year, 30,000 mile guarantee. I thought maybe he didn't know what he was getting into, but he said he's done the same thing to two 1962 Thunderbirds over the summer.
1964 Chantilly Beige 2 dr Htp
VTCI Member #11986
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

That's good to hear. I think you'll be happy with a rebuild on your COM.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

I had my COM done earlier this year by someone very experienced. Took a few trips back to get everything perfect, but now that it's dialed in, I wouldn't wish for anything else, especially the headaches of installing something non-native.

$1000+ sounds like a very good price, btw.

~Steve