Engine number

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Kiwi-Bird

Engine number

Post by Kiwi-Bird »

Hi guys
Now that I have moved to Australia, I am in the process of trying to get the car licensed.
I took it in for a roadworthy inspection last week and it failed. I knew it would - but needed to to know what it would fail on.
It failed on rear suspension bushes ( front and rear) Not a big problem - just the delay in getting the parts shipped here
The other thing they need is the engine number - Does anyone know where it is stamped so the inspector can see it They are looking for a unique serial number , not casting numbers

thanks in advance
1962 T Bird hardtop
2004 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

There's been many discussions and questions about Ford's casting and date codes, along with engine VIN numbers. If your local inspectors don't know what to look for or where to look, show them the engine assembly date code stamped just under the left/front lower head bolt, that's the only number stamped into your block (unless you have a post 67 block). Whether you want to explain anything to them is up to you I guess. Other members must have been through this, I'm sure they can help. JMO Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

I can only answer for my State, Victoria but I think all states will be the same.

When the engine does not have a number like the FE engines, you have two choices:

- go to the WA Roads centre and tell them you need an engine number and they should give you a unique number to put on your engine.

- just make up a number, use 3 letters and 4 numbers

Have the numbers stamped on the block area above the water pump outlet so that the testing person can easily see them, no need to piss them off!

Hope that helps.

Graeme
1962 Hardtop - in Melbourne, Australia
minkbigbird

engine number

Post by minkbigbird »

I used the engine assembly numbers when I first registered my 63 in N.S.W. they are just above the oil and fuel filter on a machined area toward the top of the block. I also have a 59 skyliner with a 352 ci with no numbers, wait for this.. the previous owner in Tas. was told to stamp the first 5 numbers of his phone number, all they wanted was a way of identifying the engine. I believe the less you tell them the better, we can't have them knowing more than us they will start to ask questions.
Brian.
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Exactly Brian,

just keep it simple and you will be fine.

Graeme
Kiwi-Bird

Post by Kiwi-Bird »

Thanks guys, Ill try to locate the numbers above the oil filter and if all else fails ill make something up

Why do MACS close for the weekend? My rear bushes could be halfway here by now!!!
Macs = very inconsiderate
Me = VERY IMPATIENT
1962 T Bird hardtop
2004 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

Kiwi-Bird, try Barry Haley of Thunderparts in Victoria. He should have the bushes and you'll get them quicker too. He is also a very nice and helpfull bloke.

Ozzy :smile:
"The sour memory of a dud purchase is remembered long after the sweet taste of a cheap deal has disappeared"
1961 T-bird H/T Silver-Gray Metallic/Raven Black roof.
1971 Ford Falcon 351 XYGT-Nugget Gold.
VTCI #11702
Adelaide, South Australia.
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Also check with Pedders if you guys have them in Perth, quite possible they can help you too.

Graeme
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Thanks guys, Ill try to locate the numbers above the oil filter and if all else fails ill make something up

Why do MACS close for the weekend? My rear bushes could be halfway here by now!!!
Macs = very inconsiderate
Me = VERY IMPATIENT
A good way to get the numbers off the location above the OF is to use a piece of dum dum and make an impression. They are nearly impossible to read otherwise. Remove the oil filter to gain access, and you may need to push the cooler lines out of the way.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

I just had the engine builder stamp the same numbers from the VIN plate onto the right side front of the block next to the water pump and the boffins were happy with that.

Ozzy :smile:
"The sour memory of a dud purchase is remembered long after the sweet taste of a cheap deal has disappeared"
1961 T-bird H/T Silver-Gray Metallic/Raven Black roof.
1971 Ford Falcon 351 XYGT-Nugget Gold.
VTCI #11702
Adelaide, South Australia.
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Great.. :mrgreen: