went for a drive and took some pics

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

MelanieCooper

went for a drive and took some pics

Post by MelanieCooper »

here's some pics of the bird we went for a drive this week end

RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Nice pics of both the car and the mural Mel. Where is that located?

Scott

BTW, you might want to resize you image to something like 640X480 to make it easier to view here.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
MelanieCooper

Post by MelanieCooper »

kinda downtown tacoma off of highway 7 there's anohter one with a train station but some rude park cars would not move hehehehe ill go back and get that shot anohter day .
WC145

Post by WC145 »

Your car looks great. How about posting some more info. I'm curious about the make and size of your wheels and tires - do the wheels fit without spacers? Also interested in what kind of exhaust system you have on it and what you've done with the suspension to achieve the subtle rake.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Also interested in what kind of exhaust system you have on it and what you've done with the suspension to achieve the subtle rake.
Melanie, ditto. I've been saving up to rebuild my entire suspension, and want to know all options before I plunge. Particularly interested in why your car rakes, and are there any regrets? Did you do the rebuild, or previous owner?

Paul
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
MelanieCooper

Post by MelanieCooper »

ok ill try and answer what i can / know i bought the car around 1.5 year ago from the 2nd owner he him self kinda did a half restore i got a good price and was looking for something for me and my son to injoy on summer days,cruzes and shows .. i have rebuilt the total motor brake lines trans all the good stuff motor is stock and numbers matching 390/4 bbl . inside was spotless so no work needed other than door panels .. 2.50 exaust all the way back to trans then 3 inche turned to side behind wheel 2 glass packs midway sounds ok and lowpee some what . as for front 1 inche cut coil no bounch or slop with new shocks for the back all i have is adjustable coil over shocks . with no bouch or slop. im also thinking of buying a junk yard set of coils and cut 2 turns out and see who it works and then drop the back more with the coil overs.im thinking thats about 1 more inche all the way around .
wheels are foose
front 225/45zr17 94w with 17x8 with 1/2 back spacer
back is 225/45zr18 94w with 18x8 with 1/2 back spacer
back spacer was only needed for the rims i used i tried i know 8 different rims that day and the tire shop did not like me at all after i left .i dont know if its a "rack" but there is a small front to back stance and i love it .

i know its not "stock" and i know it needs a better paint job but i like it i injoy it and i drive it .

only issues im haven as of now knock on wood is the carb im hopeing its just the carb but i have had it rebuilt 2 times and different issues coming up after each build .. im sure its just some simple and ill find the issue with more detailed looking .
any more questions please ask ill post more pics if needed or wanted .

melanie
Last edited by MelanieCooper on Wed May 15, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Thanks, Melanie. Since you offered, I'd love to get a look under the hood.

Paul
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
MelanieCooper

Post by MelanieCooper »

here's under the hood as asked for and inside injoy

RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Wow, that is a nice clean car. Someone did a nice detail job under the hood too. Even an aluminum Edelbrock water pump - nice!
Interesting the little differences between years. I've never noticed that little extra wall between the eng and battery. Ford must have had problems with the battery being cooked in hot climates.

You picked a good one Melanie!

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
scumdog

Post by scumdog »

RedBird64 wrote:Wow, that is a nice clean car. Someone did a nice detail job under the hood too. Even an aluminum Edelbrock water pump - nice!
Interesting the little differences between years. I've never noticed that little extra wall between the eng and battery. Ford must have had problems with the battery being cooked in hot climates.

You picked a good one Melanie!

Scott
Nice car Melanie, very tidy.

RedBird64, I think early '66 'birds had that heat sheild but not later ones (I think!). - I don't think it was 'hot climate' related.

Some with more knowledge may correct me!
Kiwi Thunderbirder
'66 Town Landau
'55 F100
'37 Ford coupe
'64 Anglia
'05 Ultraglide Classic
tbird

Post by tbird »

The battery heat shield was added in the fall of 1965 presumably to coincide with the new optional 428 version of the FE engine it was believed that there would be additional heat generated, it was standard on all production for the remainder of the 1966 MY.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
MelanieCooper

Post by MelanieCooper »

wish i had the 428 version hehehehe more froom froom going down the road
DavidA

Post by DavidA »

My car is a 428 Convertible made in October, 1965. It does not have the shield. The shield must have come later than the introduction of the 428.
1966 Q-Code Convertible. 29000 original miles. 1 owner all original with A/C. Power Windows, Power Antenna, 8-Track, Saffire Blue, White Interior
Also 2002 Thunderbird - Black/Red I am the original owner.