club membership

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

rene gautron

club membership

Post by rene gautron »

I would be curious to know how many of the forum members actually support the V.T.C.I. through club membership, AND how many just join the forum to gain FREE information with no intention of supporting the club.

Rene
66 town landau"Q" code, completed
(tbird registry 34002)
66 town landau"Q" code in the wings
65 special landau ( SADLY WILL BE PARTING OUT)

VTCI 11088
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I joined the forum first to get a vibe for the club. It's a good thing I didn't see a post like this.

Scott
Last edited by RedBird64 on Tue May 14, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

As Groucho Marx said "I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member"
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Is this question an admonishment to the non-VTCI members that participate here?
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I joined the forum and began to read the old posts to learn from guys that had already been through what I was trying to do. I later was able to answer questions because of my background combined with the experience I got from working on my own car. I didn't join the VTCI until the following year, and I had more than one reason to join up. Obviously the forum members that can help other members do it because they want to, nobody gets paid or has their posts rated. If paid membership was required here we'd spend most of our time listening to the crickets, that being said I'd like to see our (VTCI) membership grow, and more people attend the conventions. Members will come and go, they buy cars but later lose interest or sell them, but the questions and answers are still here and become a knowledge base. JMO Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

I think I had an interest in becoming a VTCI member, but always put it off. When I found out there was a forum, I joined it. When I found a wealth of knowledge available, and an opportunity to contribute help from my experiences on our 64 and 66, and the frequent references to the OFS, I became a member. The how-to articles published in the Scoop, as well as the spotlight on the restored Birds is always fun to read. The OFS, like Alan's Restoration Guide from year's past, provided a great deal of details in the restoration of a T-Bird (64-66 in our case).

I will say this, can we look into putting the Scoop newsletter online with member's only access in *.pdf format, or something similar thru ISSUU or YUDU??? I have missed some here and there from missing the renewal date. Maybe put them up from the past few years maybe??? I'd like to see some from the past eventually but there's no rush.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
rene gautron

Post by rene gautron »

I guess some people took it differently, I joined the VTCI as I was a member of local club. On hearing about the Scoop magazine I then joined VTCI, IMO the Soop alone is worth the price of membership. Some Tech articles within are "priceless".
This forum is indeed a valuable "resource library" of information,( if only search function was easier) I often offer suggestions based on my own experiences.

I did not intend to admonish anyone or their intentions. I was just curious as to how many of us belong to VTCI as some that I know are VTCI members but their member number is not posted.

Rene
(tbird registry 34002)

VTCI 11088
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

I have been a member under my parents membership since 1988 and under my own (with my wife) membership since 2002. I guess my question to those who are on the forum but not members is Why? The best part of Thunderbird ownership (or any car for that matter) is getting together with other people that know your kind of car and are from your region for regionals,or the entire country including our international friends for the international conventions.
Everyone is welcome to stop by and look at the cars at any VTCI event but what fun is it to have a car and not show it off to other people that know something about these cars. Some of the best times that I have had with my Thunderbird are caravaning with the Chicagoland Thunderbirds and hanging out with VTCI people once we get there. Its even better when your wife leaves home 8 hours after you and calls you to see how the room is and you say "sorry honeyI hav not seen it yet and I know I have been at the hotel for about six hours but the bar was just too nice to pass up when we got here and I haven't left there yet." Just try it sometime. Trust me her response will be priceless
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

I might step on some toes here, but you asked, so here goes.
I am not talking about VTCI here, but about big car clubs in general.

I was silly enough years ago to join 2 large, nationally recognized car clubs, representing two very common but popular 60s cars. I got in these clubs expecting to just have a good time and hang out with like-minded folks. I found that I spent more time being irrritated by critics.

Most of the critics were generally cranky little old men doddering around with their noses in the air criticizing other cars because they weren't clean enough, weren't the "coolest" model (fastback/convertible/Super Sport etc), or weren't being restored to factory perfection. Taht kind of attitude was often reflected in their publications, both in articles and letters from readers. Grrrrrrr.

I'm a little younger than a lot of the folks in these 2 clubs. I work 40-60 hours a week and have two elementary school kids that love old cars and car shows. BUT, I haven't the time, budget or inclination to clean my calipers with a q-tip, or spend 500 smackers on a re-chromed- factory correct- numbers matching- whooozits when I can buy identical "chinese junk" for a hundred bucks. No-brainer from my perspective. I don't need or want some knucklehead wobbling around my car and criticizing it because there is (GASP) brake dust on the back of my wheels.

I like car shows for the camraderie and the cool old cars. I couldn't give two spits about points, trophies, numbers matching lugnuts or a 20 year old paint job.
I had a guy at the national of one of these shows get REALLY mad at me when I wouldn't let him or his minions judge my car. REALLY mad. I thought the guy was gonna smack me with his clipboard or stab me with his little red pen. He couldn't understand why I just don't care about coming in third place in the "whatever" category.

What I mean is that many club members take this stuff way too seriously, forgetting that there isn't a right way to restore a car. I think a 77 T-bird is just as cool as a 57 in a different way.

I'm not saying that VTCI is like that at all,

I can't say that because I haven't been a member but I know a lot of folks my age and younger that feel the way I do and it makes us a little wary of joining some of the old guard clubs. I think that's why NSRA, MCA, ACES and some of the others are shrinking while Good Guys and some of the Rat Rod clubs are growing. They have a come as you are attitude.

I'll join up. Hell, why not? I confess to a bit of guilt for using the resources and not ponying up. But I'll be crossing my fingers.
Last edited by Spectre on Fri May 17, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Quench my thirst with gasoline"
Hetfield, 1996
Treozen

Post by Treozen »

I debated how to respond myself. I guess for me it goes like this:

In my mind, the forum is free, the information is free, the use it is free and there should no implication (or feeling of obligation) intended or implied that it should be otherwise. I see forums like these as simply modern-day version of gathering at the local the burger joint or meeting up at the drive-in and talking about cars ? I?m not old enough to have actually participated in the 50?s style gear-head / hot-rodder scene, but this for me is the new version and I have to imagine that back in the 50?s and 60?s, nobody charged their buddy for information ? so the same should hold true here. In fact, I?d argue that it?s even more important to make this sort of information freely available because there are fewer and fewer cars and people interested in the hobby ? so we better do all we can to make sure that anyone that wants to get started, has all the help we can offer ? the future of the hobby and the cars that depend on it will suffer otherwise. I also generally agree with some of Spectre?s sentiments ? Sometimes joining a club also means adopting a specific mindset ? and that?s not for everyone.

Now all that said, I am a supporting member of VTCI as of March this year and I do believe that resources like this need to be supported ? so I did ? BUT my support was driven by the fact that I have the means and I feel that supporting the hobby, if you can, is important for the future ? not because I think the forum information should be paid for ? In fact, I?d sooner pay more to keep the forum free for others.
Current Classic Garage (or money pits):
1957 Chevy Belair
1963 Thunderbird
1978 Corvette
1979 Ford F250

Prior Money Pits:
1976 Camaro
1983 Jaguar XJ6 (converted)
1966 Cadillac
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I got in these clubs expecting to just have a good time and hang out with like-minded folks. I found that I spent more time being irrritated by critics. Most of the critics were generally cranky little old men doddering around with their noses in the air criticizing other cars because they weren't clean enough, weren't the "coolest" model (fastback/convertible/Super Sport etc), or weren't being restored to factory perfection.
I was a VTCI member, pre-internet in the '90's. Had no problem with VTCI, even got my '66 'Bird on the Scoop cover. Life took over and I let the VTCI membership lapse as I was working full time, and getting my elderly parents thru the late stages of their lives.
My beef was/is same as Spectre, too much elitism and too many anal A$$holes stopping to talk and busting my stones on 'faults' with my car. I was wanting to just enjoy the cars and a day out, but all the local shows were becoming a drag to attend because of these people.
I still enjoy helping people on the this forum and learning about these wonderful cars, but my days in organized clubs are long past.
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
rene gautron

Post by rene gautron »

Everybody has basically hit the nail on the head. I likewise feel much the same way to a degree. When I first got my "TL", I was looking for a classic car that I could enjoy driving to local show and shines, and cruise nites to enjoy the nostalgia of a bygone era. As well as a daily driver if I chose. It is one thing to restore a car to "concours level" and trailer it to shows; its entirely a different story to refurbish it to be able to enjoy it as well as use it, it is all up to the individual.For me my car has been restored to as close to concours level as I can, without breaking the bank. Granted there are still a few items that need to be addressed but they will have to wait.
As to having my car judged at a show, no problem, bring it on, "It's not perfect" but then neither is the one beside mine likely to be either. I know how my car measures up against yours " in my own mind" and really that's all that really matters anyway. I like my car to be as nice as I can make and still not be afraid to drive and enjoy it.
As to "VTCI" membership, had it not been for the club and it's members ( re: the O.F.S.s and Tech articles) I would not have been able to bring my car to the level she is at today.

Did not mean to rant, but that's my take on the subject.

Rene
(tbird registry 34002)

VTCI 11088
60fore

Post by 60fore »

@Spectre - I can pretty much guess which cars/clubs you are speaking of when you mention their elitist attitude. And that is precisely the reason that even though I had the means to buy one of those cars, I chose not to. I wouldn't have the patience for one of those fanboys to tell me all the things that are wrong with my car.

Now, regarding my experience at a VTCI event. Back in 2008 our local chapter hosted the NW regional. The quality of cars in attendance was outstanding, but the more impressive thing to me was the total lack of snobbery among the owners. Every car there, whether it was a concours-quality restoration or a work in progress, was appreciated in its own way. Yes there was judging, but it was totally up to you whether you wanted to participate or not.

To me the minimal cost of VTCI membership is well worth it. But I don't take the attitude that people who use the forum without choosing to join VTCI are freeloading in any way. The more the merrier! :cool:
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

Post by Terri McNeill »

This has been a really interesting conversation... I would like to inject a few words. The VTCI has numerous classes to enter your car for our events and the judging is free to members. If you don't care about points, trophies etc just enter it into display and have fun! 1957-2005 Can be judged on many levels from driver to concours. BUT, if you find this forum informative, you need to join the club for the best part of our knowledge.

Many members here are giving you bits and pieces of their knowledge but Alan Tast's OFS's are invaluable and cannot be bought unless you are a member. The VTCI Tech editors are members here but you get the entire story in the "Thunderbird Scoop" by-monthly magazine and if you can't afford the $35 a year then you probably can't afford the parts to rebuild your Thunderbird or the gas to drive it... just saying.

I am currently the President & Publications Director but have been a member since 1987 and found it very much worth the effort and money to continue this membership. We are NOT elitist, just an enthusiastic fun group of T-Bird owners! Come join us! :smile:

I am moving this posting to the area it belongs... will leave a shadow.
Terri McNeill, Past VTCI President, currently VTCI Publications Director, Member of VTCI, VTCI-PNWC and Chicagoland Thunderbirds
redbird1

Post by redbird1 »

Like many of you, when I first acquired my Tbird, I wanted someplace to be able to get information on just about every facet of these great cars, and a Tbird forum seemed like the best place to start.
I believe that the good people behind the scenes of this forum, and others like it, deserve all the praise we can give them.
I am sure it takes a great deal of time, and effort to get a forum up and running, and to keep it maintained.
A contribution of any amount I am sure would be appreciated.
With that said, I don't think one should have to join a particular club to be able to use the club's public forum.
When I seek, and find answers to any problem I may have with the bird, my appreciation is shown with what I hope would be a fix for someone elses problem with their car.
It works both ways on a forum such as this.
The name of the game is help one another while getting a ton of knowledge that otherwise would not be available except on a forum such as this.
As for car shows, I can only echo what some have already stated.
It has been my experience that they are way too cliquey, and reek of good ole boy's get-togethers.
For me, the best show I attend is the one that starts the minute I leave my driveway behind the wheel of my 66.
That is the REAL show.
Driving one of these Tbirds on any street , any where, is without a doubt, the greatest show on earth.
It doesn't hurt to also have one that stands out in the crowd.
I drive the bird just about every day, but I especially like driving it on the bright, sunny days because the red iis almost iridescent in the bright sun.
I neither want, nor need the phony balony associated with a lot of car shows.
I'LL take the good ole roads of this country as my viewing field.
As for judging, I would suspect, the many thumbs up, lights flickering, horn blast, and waves I see when driving this 66, people are telling me my bird is the best of show.
And my trophy?, the satisfaction of knowing I own one hell of a car that the general public loves.
Bob.