power window problem

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

cool65bird

power window problem

Post by cool65bird »

hello all I need some help... I have a 65 thunderbird all of my windows are power ...the trouble I,m having is with my left rear window....sometimes it won,t go down like its stuck and yes there is power getting to the motor...if I take off the interior panel and tap on the regulator casing...it starts working...going up and down....but if I let the car sit for a few hours...it will be stuck in the up position......maybe I have a flat spot on the brushes in the motor...could I take the motor and rotate so it won,t end up in the same spot in the up position?....please any help and if you have any pics they are welcome thank
65 Thunderbird
66 Mustang GT
92 Mustang GT Convertible
97 Thunderbird LX Limted Edition 4.6
03 Expedition
08 MUSTANG GT
62-63 lincoln (not yet)
67-68 cougar xr7 (had one)
05-06 mustang gt convertible(not yet)
03-05 thunderbird (not yet)
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I recently wen't through all my windows and for the first time since I've owned the car, the back windows work! But it wasn't easy..
You can certainly take the motor apart and rotate it a bit. Wouldn't hurt to clean it out and lube it a bit too. I suspect you'll find that the big gear on the regulator is in need of some cleaning and lubrication and that is your main problem. It would explain why it binds in one place. The motor spins many times during the total movement of the window so if it had a dead place, it would act up at several different window heights.

It will also help things a lot if the whole window/regulator assembly is removed, cleaned, lubricated and adjusted. The grease gets hard in the guide rails and slows movement down. During an inspection you may find that one or more of the little window "Rollers" (except in the back windows they don't role - they just slide) is flat or worn and causes binding.

But, the first thing I would do is use some dry film lubricant on the weather strip around the window (as outlined in the FFM). This makes a big difference to how much it labors towards the top of the movement.

Good luck and please let us know what you find.

Cheers,
Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
cool65bird

Post by cool65bird »

RedBird64 wrote:I recently wen't through all my windows and for the first time since I've owned the car, the back windows work! But it wasn't easy..
You can certainly take the motor apart and rotate it a bit. Wouldn't hurt to clean it out and lube it a bit too. I suspect you'll find that the big gear on the regulator is in need of some cleaning and lubrication and that is your main problem. It would explain why it binds in one place. The motor spins many times during the total movement of the window so if it had a dead place, it would act up at several different window heights.

It will also help things a lot if the whole window/regulator assembly is removed, cleaned, lubricated and adjusted. The grease gets hard in the guide rails and slows movement down. During an inspection you may find that one or more of the little window "Rollers" (except in the back windows they don't role - they just slide) is flat or worn and causes binding.

But, the first thing I would do is use some dry film lubricant on the weather strip around the window (as outlined in the FFM). This makes a big difference to how much it labors towards the top of the movement.

Good luck and please let us know what you find.

Cheers,
Scott
hey thanks for the info....its been apart before and lubed... I just did some reading and there is some type of adjustment screw at the end of the motor I think its for the worm gear...do you think I sould try this?
65 Thunderbird
66 Mustang GT
03 Expedition
08 MUSTANG GT
62-63 lincoln (not yet)
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

No, I would not adjust the worm gear. It is only adjusted during initial assembly and if adjusted wrong will destroy the gear. It would probably behoove you to take it apart and clean all the petrified grease out of it though. If the gear is worn you can get replacements.
When I bought new motors the directions said to use a newer type of grease that I found at Napa:

I used this grease all over the window related parts instead of the lithium. It should last longer than the Lithium based grease used in the old days and feels more slippery to me.

Hopefully this will do it for you. I had all kinds of problems including rusted out motors, bad switches and a severe voltage drop in the wire that goes to the switches. $500 in parts and many hours of work later, they work great :roll:
Well, maybe not "great" in that they just don't move with the same gusto as the fronts but at least I can roll them up and down or stop and start them anyplace in-between without them getting stuck - even with the eng off.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
cool65bird

UPDATE!!!

Post by cool65bird »

UPDATE UPDATE......its been about a week since I fixed my left rear window....I did the adjustment on the screw at the end of the motor....and the window is working great now...thanks guys for all the help
65 Thunderbird
66 Mustang GT
03 Expedition
08 MUSTANG GT
62-63 lincoln (not yet)