dash light bulb

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

cool65bird

dash light bulb

Post by cool65bird »

would LED dash lights bulb be a good choice ? and would they be brighter?... I think I found some on ebay( Ford White MEGA BRIGHT 42 LED)
and can someone give me a good part# thanks
65 Thunderbird
66 Mustang GT
92 Mustang GT Convertible
97 Thunderbird LX Limted Edition 4.6
03 Expedition
08 MUSTANG GT
62-63 lincoln (not yet)
67-68 cougar xr7 (had one)
05-06 mustang gt convertible(not yet)
03-05 thunderbird (not yet)
tbird

Post by tbird »

If your original dash light are not bright enough on a 64/66 when they are turned up on the rheostat I would think there is something wrong.
Would have no idea of the number for a LED replacement bulb.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
michaelbenner

Post by michaelbenner »

I found the bulbs you are looking at on eBay. They replace 1895 bulbs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-White-MEGA ... 03&vxp=mtr

According to this thread, the 1895s are the correct bulb for the clock:

http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... light=1895

As my dash lights go out, my plan is to start replacing them with LEDs. Not only will it be less draw on a already over-worked 47 year old electrical system, they will also last forever. We all know how much of a pain it is to replace the bulbs in this dash...
"...and she'll have fun, fun, fun 'til her daddy takes the T-bird away."
paulr

Post by paulr »

As per my previous post, I'm going to strongly advise against placing generic LED fixtures behind your dash. I read the Ebay ad. First falsehood, the add allows you to infer these are a Ford product--indeed they are NOT. Second falsehood, they most definitely WILL NOT DIM WITH YOUR ANALOG DIMMER. This is an outright fiction. A bit more technical. The base of the bulb, although it appears to duplicate the correct 1895 base, is fitted with its own driver. Our sockets are equipped with a CVR which may or may not deliver consistent voltage to the drivers, leaving you with potentially intermittent lighting. You're on your own to troubleshoot. As a class, LEDs are famously vulnerable to temperature; it's the driver that usually fails. Our light case is enclosed and heat builds up. I'll bet a dime they will burn our long before an incandescent bulb would. I don't see any stated life expectancy for them, and doubt the importer would stand behind them (as hinted at by the Please make sure this is your style bulb before purchasing. disclaimer in the add.

Personally, I think the color temperature is hideous; the outcome is different than what these products promise. It will contrast badly with other lights in your suite, unless you change all those too. And, if you're thinking of doing that, some of them have different bases, so other LEDs would be needed. Considering how much work is involved with changing bulbs, I would recommend the following: Replace all your old bulbs with brand new 1895s. You'll be surprised how much brighter they are and will spend way less, and have a more correct and dignified appearance fitting the character of the Thunderbird. If you still just have to see, order one and put it in the glove box. But, speaking from professional experience, these cheapo LED products, and the market is flooded with them, are inconsistent, unreliable and do not compare.

Generally avoid being this vocal, but when I could save someone a disappointment, I'll do it. Sincere best of luck,

Paul

PS Modified forum guys may have more experimentation to draw from. Keep in mind, the motivation is different.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Paul, there's some great info in your post and FWIW I agree with your opinion on LED's being a bad choice for this application. And most of those cheap foreign lighting kits on eBay are crapola.

However, I'd like to correct one inaccuracy. The CVR behind the dash does not supply pulsated voltage to the dash lights. Its only purpose is to protect the gauges (fuel, oil, temp) by supplying less than 12V to them. These gauges are the only loads on the CVR circuit.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
paulr

Post by paulr »

I'd like to correct one inaccuracy. The CVR behind the dash does not supply pulsated voltage to the dash lights
Absolutely right. I keep getting that point kefuffled in my head! The way my mind works is like--when the dash is off and the guts are all out, I think, fix everything, do it right, don't forget anything. It all starts blending...but for this post the point is, if properly reconditioned, the original lighting lasts for a long, long time, and the best design is the OEM. Seriously, look at the seller's profile: 20,000 sales? This is not a Bird-lover; this is a peddler. Some Ebay seller who buys a container-load of cheap parts from (insert offshore location), thinks he can make money by impulse-marketing to me...I ain't buying that pig, no matter how much lipstick!
Corrections always appreciated.

Paul
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I agree with previous advise, the original lamps are the way to go. Technology can aid us with our restorations on a lot of levels, but in this case I'd say don't re-invent the wheel. The original lamps will have the dash lit up like a Christmas tree :lol: Good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Dainbramaged

Post by Dainbramaged »

Yes, there are a lot of new "Specialty" LED's on the market today. If you look at the LED replacement tail light bulbs they have rings of LED's around the perimeter. This is because LED's send most of their light out of the top as a sort of focused beam. Very little if any light is emitted from the sides of the LED. As a dash light it would be like putting a focused beam pointed at you, resulting in a bright spot in front of the LED and rendering the rest of the gauge scale unreadable (dark).
On the other hand the experiment is relatively cheap money wise so if you want to try it go ahead. Please post the results so others can benefit - Thanks -Db.
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Morkel is spamming us..... :spam1:
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
LeonardJefferson

Re: dash light bulb

Post by LeonardJefferson »

cool65bird wrote:would LED dash lights bulb be a good choice ? and would they be brighter?... I think I found some on ebay( Ford White MEGA BRIGHT 42 led light)
and can someone give me a good part# thanks
These lights are best choice for me.. As they are cheap and lot more effective