Wipers wiping and wiping and wiping...

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Spectre

Wipers wiping and wiping and wiping...

Post by Spectre »

Won't go off. PO just took the arms off and let 'em run.

Switch? Relay?

They will change speed, just won't go off.

Can I pull the fuse as a temporary fix?
"Quench my thirst with gasoline"
Hetfield, 1996
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

You didn't mention what year your car is but going by the section you posted in, they're hydraulic. you can adjust the cable to see if that does it, or you might need a motor. Good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

Hetfield, 1996
rene gautron

Post by rene gautron »

There is a detailed instruction on adjusting them in the shop manual.
66 town landau"Q" code, completed
(tbird registry 34002)
66 town landau"Q" code in the wings
65 special landau ( SADLY WILL BE PARTING OUT)

VTCI 11088
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Check the dash switch...the plastic housing breaks down and eventually crumbles, and there's nothing to keep the hot contacts from touching. (at least that's what I remember from my experience)
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

"There is a detailed instruction on adjusting them in the shop manual."

Thank you for the input and assume that I checked the shop manual, but it didn't relay any of it's personal experiences or knowledge in running down the problem or that I'm just too silly to understand it

Thanks Bob and Mr. Brian, I'll check it out.
Last edited by Spectre on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hetfield, 1996
cdhowell

Post by cdhowell »

The wipers are hydraulic not electric. They are powered by the power steering pump.
Did you ever stop to think and forget to start again?
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

My first thought would be that the control cable has gotten corroded and is sticking and not allowing full movement. I would gain access the cable inside the car and see if you can push it down into the sheath more. If this makes it stop then you've found your problem and you may be able to force some oil down the cable. Kits for oiling bike cables can be helpful.
If that doesn't do it then your going to need to pull the cowl and check to make sure the control is moving fully.

As Cdhowell said this system is completely hydraulic so there are no electrical components.

Good luck
Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

BrianC - Check the dash switch...the plastic housing breaks down and eventually crumbles, and there's nothing to keep the hot contacts from touching. (at least that's what I remember from my experience)
That's for the washer switch, not the wipers.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
birdstudeguy

wipers keep running

Post by birdstudeguy »

Having the same problem with my 66 Bird, can't turn off the wipers. The wiper control doesnt push back in as much as the washer control but it does run fast when pulled out. After checking all the fuses on the kick panel of the passenger side, they still don't stop probably because the wipers are said to be hydraulic. Can anyone tell me how to fix and how do you pull or take off the wiper arms before my windshield gets totally scratched.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Welcome to the forum birdstudeguy, you've found the best forum on the net. As you've already found, the wipers are hydraulic and are controlled by a cable from the dash to the wiper motor. Do they park or stop when you push the lever in? I'm sure more will chime in with suggestions, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

The cable has most likely slipped in the clamp on the motor. You can adjust the cable by removing the access panel on the firewall. Two phillips screws hold the panel on. There's insulation material on the back of the panel and it is snug around the hydraulic line, so you may need to pry it a little.

Once the panel is off you'll be able to see the cable end and clamp. Loosen the clamp, push the dash control all the way in and adjust the clamp-cable assembly accordingly.

It's NOT easy to reach as it's at the very back center of the engine compartment. It will definitely help to remove the air cleaner housing and cowl braces, and anything else you can that might be in the way. You might find it useful to lay an old mattress or other thick pad across the engine so you can lay across it to reach the panel. That's what I do when installing a booster and it helps.

Here's a picture of the panel:

This is an empty engine compartment - your access won't be so clear. :sad:
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
birdstudeguy

wipers don't turn off 1966 Bird

Post by birdstudeguy »

Thanks for the info re the access area on the firewall. Sadly my 74 yr old body may not be able to bend enough to accomplish the job. This weekend I will have someone younger and more flexible and follow the instructions given. In the meantime, how do the arms come off the shaft? Need a special tool? Looked under there and there seems to be a vertical slot. What to do?

Really appreciate the help, it lookslike we are on our way to fixing the problem?

Bill

Hope I am doing this post correctly as well, not handy with tools and not a computer whiz either.
Jim Wulf

Re: wipers don't turn off 1966 Bird

Post by Jim Wulf »

Thanks for the info re the access area on the firewall. Sadly my 74 yr old body may not be able to bend enough to accomplish the job. This weekend I will have someone younger and more flexible and follow the instructions given. In the meantime, how do the arms come off the shaft? Need a special tool? Looked under there and there seems to be a vertical slot. What to do?

Really appreciate the help, it lookslike we are on our way to fixing the problem?

Bill

Hope I am doing this post correctly as well, not handy with tools and not a computer whiz either.
The arms don't need to come off the shaft to accomplish the job. All you're doing is loosening one screw, shifting the cable, and tightening the same screw. Couldn't be simpler if it weren't for the accessibility issue.

However, if you want to remove the arms from the shaft anyway, the best way is to use a wiper arm removal tool. The arm is only held on by friction, but you need to relieve the tension on the arm to work it loose. I've done it with a screwdriver and some padding, but that could be hazardous to your paint job.

A screw type puller will cost you about $10 at the local auto store. Well worth it.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
birdstudeguy

nothing behind access panel for 66 bird wipers

Post by birdstudeguy »

opened up the firewall access panel and nothing there. This is a 66 Bird as stated as a topic on my first post on the 19th. Pulled the inside panel off and nothing in there makes too much sense to me and my fellow handy kind of guy. We can see what looks like a cable coming from that inside panel going to maybe a motor under the cowling. Is that possible? Is that the next step to take off the cowling?
to take off the cowl? What steps to take, what about the stainless trim under the windshield? We tried prying up the wiper arms to no avail. Is there a particular part # for the correct puller to take the arms off?
Maybe this bit of info may help, when pulling the wiper control towards you, it does speed up and when pushing back in, it does slow them up a bit but not off like the control needs to continue another inch or so.
Getting desperate.