Door sill plates

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Ozzy351

Door sill plates

Post by Ozzy351 »

Has anyone purchased or had experience with the repop scuff plates sold by the various vendors? Mine are a little banged up after 50+ years of use / abuse and I am looking at replacing them and was wondering about the quality of the new ones offered.

Ozzy :smile:
"The sour memory of a dud purchase is remembered long after the sweet taste of a cheap deal has disappeared"
1961 T-bird H/T Silver-Gray Metallic/Raven Black roof.
1971 Ford Falcon 351 XYGT-Nugget Gold.
VTCI #11702
Adelaide, South Australia.
smorgasbird

Post by smorgasbird »

Hi Ozzy,
Mine were really faded and banged up as well. I tried to "restore" them- with no luck. Maybe someone here has successfully done so.
I bought a pair from Larry's back in 2005. They fit great and seem to be of good quality (I think they were made in Taiwan?). I remember thinking that I didn't realize just how bad the old ones looked until I replaced them. However, after 7 years of very little use they are showing some dings and scratches. IMO they are not as high in quality as the originals- and they are expensive.
BTW, I was just looking over my invoice from '05 and noticed that I paid $139.95 for the pair. In my latest Larry's catalog they are selling for $78.95 each. Concours Parts offers them a little cheaper. I imagine they both buy from the same overseas manufacturer.
Mike S
Grand Rapids, Mi
'61 red HT
Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

Thanks for the reply Mike. I found this pair advertised on Ebay for the same price you paid for yours in '05. Like you mentioned, they probably all come from the same place overseas and the material used probably isn't as good quality as the originals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120987371181?ss ... 1438.l2649

"The sour memory of a dud purchase is remembered long after the sweet taste of a cheap deal has disappeared"
VTCI #11702
minkbigbird

door sill plates

Post by minkbigbird »

G'Day Ozzy I purchased a set some time ago and they look great fit well but don't sit or lean on them they are very thin and will dent easy and if you say you won't sit on the door sills tell that to any one who works or judges your car at a show and keep your feet up when entering as they also scratch easy. Brian
Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

Thanks for the heads up Brian.

VTCI #11702