Help with a project

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

RedBird64

Help with a project

Post by RedBird64 »

Hello all, My eng is out and getting detailed by the restoration shop. As you can see in the picture I have some Holley valve covers and I'm going to keep them but at the shop owners urging, I'd like to customize them with some Thunderbird parts. He is going to grind out the part that says "Holley" so it's flat. The area measures 4" long by 2" tall. Does anyone know of a ornament from any year of thunderbird that would fit in this space? I was thinking of the Bird that goes on the back of the mirror but I don't know how big it is and would really like something more pronounced. I'm also considering mounting a Thunderbird script in the flat shiny area under that.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, don't flame me too much, the eng is the only part of the restoration that isn't original. :smile:

Thanks,
Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Desert bird

Re: Help with a project

Post by Desert bird »

I'd like to customize them with some Thunderbird parts. He is going to grind out the part that says "Holley" so it's flat. The area measures 4" long by 2" tall. Does anyone know of a ornament from any year of thunderbird that would fit in this space? I was thinking of the Bird that goes on the back of the mirror but I don't know how big it is and would really like something more pronounced. I'm also considering mounting a Thunderbird script in the flat shiny area under that.
Scott, I've also done artistic rework on aluminum castings.
Personally, I'd take the valve covers to a shop with a CNC mill, and have them whip out a bird pattern, and maybe period script above or below it.
It's actually quite easy and quick for an experienced CNC mill operator to do this.

Here's an example I threw together in a few seconds of ripping images off the 'net.

With the mill, they can pocket the area to scale well to the logo, as well as put a fine mill finish on the surface. The finless area could also be expanded to make it appear right for the inserted decoration. The original casting has considerable depth, so you could have them remove between .030"- .050" to produce the image / logo into without any risk of getting too thin.
Then fill in the areas with paint for highlight.

Anyway, hope this gives you some ideas.

Regards, Jeff
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Wow Jeff, that would be gorgeous but we're up against a time constraint and we really don't wan't to remove the VC's and frankly, I'm getting tired of spending money!
But thanks, that's very close to what I pictured in my mind right down to the color. There's a tri-power medallion that goes between the back seats on a earlier 60's Bird that looks like this. I guess it's too big though.

Thanks again,
Scott

Still would like to know how wide the outside rear view mirror bird is if anybody gets a chance. [-o<
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Ian M Greer

Post by Ian M Greer »

Scott , the Tri power bird is 6 inches wing tip to wing tip . But you could always grind a little of the finn surface to (much like the Tri-power breather). But again it has pins on the back for retaining nuts, which means removing the valve cover and also providing some kind of seal for those mounting pins . Maybe later you could do it the reprodution emblems are really not that expensive and it would look really cool. Ian
1963 M Landau Caspian Blue (Remember Not All Birds Fly South)
Member #-12090
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Thanks Ian, it would be worth it to grind some of the fins off for that emblem. The mounting pins could either be ground off or used one way or another.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

OK, another question. I'd like to find a smaller Thunderbird script to put in the long blank area, which I figure is about 1.25" tall by 10~11" long.
The script for my 64 is way too long but I wonder if a previous year had smaller stuff?
jhenry

Post by jhenry »

FWIW, the dash script is about 8" x 2". Too tall?

As for the bird emblem, you might be able to use the seat emblem. You could remove the vinyl insert and redo that area with high temp enamel.
VTCI #4244
1962 T-bird Convertible...DONE & SOLD!
1965 T-bird Convertible...DONE!
1959 Ford Retractable...owned 38 years
2005 Mustang GT Conv...supercharged by Ford!
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

jhenry wrote:FWIW, the dash script is about 8" x 2". Too tall?

As for the bird emblem, you might be able to use the seat emblem. You could remove the vinyl insert and redo that area with high temp enamel.
I think thats a little too tall but the seat emblem is a great idea, thanks!
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Thanks for the help everybody. I found a super nice badge to put on but we'll have to do a little milling of the fins to make it fit but it will be well worth it!

Link to pic: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 234wt_1037
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

That 390 badge is cool, but I would make sure it's not plastic before buying.
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Thanks for bringing that up Brian, because of your post I called and verified they are cast.

Scott
WC145

Post by WC145 »

Will those Holley valve covers clear the power brake booster? I tried to fit square ones on my '66 and it wouldn't fit on the driver's side.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

WC, they clear it by about 3/8's of an inch if I remember correctly - the eng is still out of the car. They're also tall enough (I think) to clear roller rockers but I've never got around to buying them.

I'll post a pic of the clearance when it gets back together next week.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I thought I'd share what we came up with for a valve cover redo.
Sorry it's not stock but it is different!

FWIW, everything outside of the actual engine is stock (or at least I'm trying)
Now if they'd quit finding rust spots maybe they could get this thing back into the flippin car!

I hope this isn't going to start anything ugly. Wait, why are you all holding those torches? Image
AngryBirds

Post by AngryBirds »

I usually am a stickler for stock, but that is a fantastic looking valve cover. In fact I wish my car had them!
Current Thunderbird Projects:
1965 White Hardtop
1965 Red Convertible Project (Bodywork Stage)