Tri power?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

cowboyherden

Tri power?

Post by cowboyherden »

I was thinking about petting a tri power on the 428 i was rebuilding for my 66 landeau. I was wondering what kind of mileage you tri power guys where getting with what gears and engine mods?
RedBird64

Re: Tri power?

Post by RedBird64 »

cowboyherden wrote:I was thinking about petting a tri power on the 428 i was rebuilding for my 66 landeau. I was wondering what kind of mileage you tri power guys where getting with what gears and engine mods?
A tri-power is cool enough that it deserves a little petting but the problem is you have to buy it dinner later.

Sorry, couldn't resist! ;)
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

You could block the fuel lines to the front and rear to only use the center carb, but what fun would that be?? Something like that is ment to be used, and often!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
vince

Post by vince »

You might want to check the FE forum. http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/

If you are doing this for looks, it could be cool. If you are doing this for performance, I'd look at different 4bbl set ups. Also consider reliability. Don't know of any successful racers from the era of run what you brung that used tri power. Shelby, Ford and others got much more than 1hp/cubic inch on small and big blocks using a 4bbl (and other mods).

Have fun. Vince
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress