Battery Drain on 65 HT

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

rollsman44

Battery Drain on 65 HT

Post by rollsman44 »

I have gone through 3 batteries in 2 months. My mechanic who knows his job well is lost for words. It starts up and I drive the car then out of no where it wont start( battery dead) No lights nothing. I suggested he change the regulator but not sure what else it could be. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, rollsman
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I suggest the next thing you change is your mechanic, he obviously doesn't understand how a very basic charging system works. 3 batteries should have taken you at least 10 years to go through.
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
smorgasbird

Post by smorgasbird »

Rollsman,
My '61 went thru a couple of batteries this year. I could not figure out why. I'd go out cruising on a Friday night and the battery would be near dead on Saturday. I jump started it and it ran fine for a while, then the next time I went to start it- nothing.
I checked alternator output, it was fine. Cleaned grounds, checked circuits with my multi-meter, everything was good. I was stumped.
My problem turned out to be a defective brake light switch. I'd pull the car into the garage at night and everything was fine- brake lights were off. I woke up in the middle of the night (one of the curses of getting old. lol) and went out to the garage to make sure everything was OK. The brake lights were glowing brightly! I popped the hood and disconnected the switch. Next morning I bought a new switch. Removed the old one and pushed an allen wrench up into the hole- very little resistance. Tried the same thing with the new switch- mucho resistance. Haven't had the battery problem since.
Mike S
Grand Rapids, Mi
'61 red HT
rollsman44

Post by rollsman44 »

Thank you. I will try to do the same in the garage. Cant seem to find the problem. I did notice a few weeks ago that my fog/ parking lights in the front of the car were on and the headlight switch had to be tightened. Maybe that is the problem. Thanks again, rollsman
scumdog

Post by scumdog »

redstangbob wrote:I suggest the next thing you change is your mechanic, he obviously doesn't understand how a very basic charging system works. 3 batteries should have taken you at least 10 years to go through.
I'm still using the battery that was new in my car when I got it in '05.
Kiwi Thunderbirder
'66 Town Landau
'55 F100
'37 Ford coupe
'64 Anglia
'05 Ultraglide Classic
smorgasbird

Post by smorgasbird »

I've worked in auto parts for many years. Decent batteries have always come with a 5 year or better warranty.
I'm presently employed at a small local O'Reilly's and just recently they dropped their 5 year warranty on many batteries- replaced by a 2 year warranty. I assume the manufacturer is to blame and the quality is not what it should be. Many, many parts are being produced outside of the US that are not made to last. With few exceptions the parts used to assemble new vehicles are not the highest quality anymore either. Buying o.e. parts doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a better quality part.
When I worked at a Jeep dealer several years ago, a factory rep came into the dealership and informed us that Chrysler had contracted an overseas company to manufacture their brake rotors. Many were warped when the vehicles were assembled, and we sold many rotors under warranty that warped shortly after replacement. Jeep owners were furious! And I heard all about it at the parts counter!
For someone who can remember when gas was 25 cents a gallon and automobiles were engineered to last; the present state of all things automotive is a sad thing. I don't hold any hope that things will turn around- ever.
If you find a battery that will last 5 years or more- you found a rare thing!
Mike S
Grand Rapids, Mi
'61 red HT
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

scumdog - I'm still using the battery that was new in my car when I got it in '05.
And I'm running the same battery I put in our 64 back ten years ago. Diehard International, 27F, made by Johnson Controls. Unfortunately, Sears switched to Deka a couple years ago, so my next one will be from Advance Auto Parts, which is a Johnson Controls made battery.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

For someone who can remember when gas was 25 cents a gallon and automobiles were engineered to last; the present state of all things automotive is a sad thing. I don't hold any hope that things will turn around- ever.
If you find a battery that will last 5 years or more- you found a rare thing!
I remember 35 cent gas, and have to disagree about cars of that era being engineererd to last. Most of the time after 5 years, you were ready for a new one. Rusted quarter panels, chrome pitted, paint wore out. Spark plugs lasted only 5-7k miles due to lead, points wore out, engines were rarely lasting more than 75k without major work...
As far as batteries, my current '03 Marquis has the original battery, my '66 T-Bird's last Die Hard battery went 10 years recently....
So now we have over-engineered, complicated cars that last, run and drive better, but have no character, which is sad.
We (USA) let a lot of manufacturing jobs eventually slip away with the crap Detroit produced in the '70's, and let the Japanese get a foothold with what became a decidedly better product. And I won't even mention the damage the NAFTA agreement did to USA jobs.
Last edited by BrianC on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Mattson

Quality

Post by Randy Mattson »

I just have to brag as long as we're talking batteries.
Although I usually get 2 maybe 3 years on batteries for vehicles with only occasional use, I sold a 1996 F-150 last year that still carried it's original battery and it was working just fine. I had to replace the positive cable due to corrosion in 2007 but the battery never failed.
And I agree, cars are built better now than they used to be. The styling and design is lacking though.
Good Luck!
Randy Mattson
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin
vince

Post by vince »

After 5 years on any new battery, you are living on hope.
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress
rheckman

Post by rheckman »

Distilled water and a battery trickler go a long way,just saying ...
papilliontbird

Post by papilliontbird »

I have excellent luck with Interstate Batteries.
scumdog

Post by scumdog »

vince wrote:After 5 years on any new battery, you are living on hope.
My '66 arrived in NZ in '05 and when it was dropped off at my house the shipper had fitted a new battery.

And that battery is still starting the 'bird quite well!! :mrgreen:
Kiwi Thunderbirder
'66 Town Landau
'55 F100
'37 Ford coupe
'64 Anglia
'05 Ultraglide Classic
rheckman

Post by rheckman »

I run a trickler for any more than a week unattended.
Never have a problem
rheckman

Post by rheckman »

I run a trickler for any more than a week unattended.
Never have a problem