Brake restoration begins on my 65

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

gurn

Brake restoration begins on my 65

Post by gurn »

With the better weather I decided to get started on the project. I will be making all the lines, rebuilding the calipers which are quite nasty. Rebuilding the proportioning valve and replacing the rear cylinders and new hoses as well. New shocks all the way around and will be making new fuel lines.
65 hardtop
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

Wow that brings back memories. Regarding your brake booster I should think either type would fit. See what I had fitted until I got a new one - much smaller than it should be and not a Tbird one. When I replaced it I found the car pulled sharply to one side and discovered 2 pistons on either side were seized up - surprisingly they did not leak and the car had just passed its annual roadworthy test on the brake machine. I also had a proportioning valve which looked like yours - it was beyond repair so I fitted a universal adjustable type.

Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
gurn

Post by gurn »

It's amazing how much gunk was behind all of the pistons. I don't know how the brakes were working as well as they were. The booster looks like toast but it still works fine so I will clean it up and paint. The pistons look beautiful after a visit to my buffer and went right in with new seals. Got both calipers done and back in. I was surprised what a good job I've done so far on the lines. I thought it would take a few tries to do proper double flair ends but it was easy. Got the two front lines installed and new shocks and hoses installed. I forgot to take some pics today but will try and get some tomorrow.
65 hardtop
cool65bird

wow

Post by cool65bird »

i rebuilt my calipers...on my 65 because i didn,t have a $150.00....i was really surpised how good of a job i did...some of the pistons had pits in them...but it all worked out
65 Thunderbird
66 Mustang GT
92 Mustang GT Convertible
97 Thunderbird LX Limted Edition 4.6
03 Expedition
08 MUSTANG GT
62-63 lincoln (not yet)
67-68 cougar xr7 (had one)
05-06 mustang gt convertible(not yet)
03-05 thunderbird (not yet)