Fuel Tanks

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

jidi

Fuel Tanks

Post by jidi »

Wondering if anyone has purchased an aftermarket fuel tank from one of the many vendors, and if so, how was the quality and fit?
There probably isn't too many companies making them, but if so, are some better than the others?
Poor car has sat the past couple of years due to my illness, I'd like to get it running again before winter.

Thanks!

Jim
RLZegers

Post by RLZegers »

I bought one from Bird Nest in Oregon for my '63 HT. Fit & finish were really good.
jidi

Post by jidi »

Thanks for the info!
Maybe that'll get me going!

Jim
tbird

Post by tbird »

Some tanks are being made off shore there are good ones and bad Spectra Industries in Canada makes a quality replacement tank for Thunderbirds not sure that they did not make the originals. The Spectra tanks are sold by many of the regular Automobile Parts suppliers you can not buy direct from Spectra they also have hanger straps and sender units for some tanks and radiators.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

I use the Spectra tanks - like Jim says, a quality product - fits perfectly and is identical to the original. Prices vary widely - best price by far that I've found is from Rock Auto.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
jidi

Post by jidi »

WOW! Rock Auto!!
I never even thought of them!
Thanks for the info, guys. The off shore stuff scares me!

Jim
texastomeh

Post by texastomeh »

Jim,

I purchased the tank from Rock Auto.

http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... =fuel+tank

Quality and fit were excellent.

BTW: Check some of the various car forums. Rock Auto usually has a discount code available.

GOOD LUCK!! :mrgreen:

Tom
Tom Hartfield
"GROWING old was GREAT! BEING old SUCKS!"
"Seems like all the guys that know how to fix America are too busy working on old cars!"
'63 TBird HT
1927 BUGATTI Type 35C Replica
TR186 Triton Bass Boat
jidi

Post by jidi »

Thanks again!
I couldn't believe the price difference between Rock Auto and some of the other vendors!! I'll save enough to fill it with gas!
Was wondering, is there anything else other than the rubber line to the tank I need to get to swap the tank out?
Do these cars have any felt or rubber between the tank straps and the tank?
Also, is there a grommet where the filler neck goes in I should be getting, too?

Jim
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Thanks again!
I couldn't believe the price difference between Rock Auto and some of the other vendors!! I'll save enough to fill it with gas!
Was wondering, is there anything else other than the rubber line to the tank I need to get to swap the tank out?
Do these cars have any felt or rubber between the tank straps and the tank?
Also, is there a grommet where the filler neck goes in I should be getting, too?

Jim
The tank comes with a new O Ring and lock ring. There's a sheet of tarpaper-like material between the tank and the bottom of the trunk. If yours isn't good enough to reuse, just cut another out of heavy roofing felt using the old one for a pattern. There is no padding between the straps and the tank.

Here's a walk-through on removal and installation of the sender, as well as the floor-to-tank pad.

http://www.tbirdgarage.com/Site_2/Techn ... ender.html

You'll notice that I used the original style keystone clamps on the fuel lines. You can substitute with modern worm gear clamps.

One other thing: I used a screwdriver to tap the new lock ring in place, which is fine because there's no fuel and no fumes in the new tank. When removing the lock ring from your old tank which has gasoline and therefore fumes in it already, I would recommend using a brass drift to eliminate the potential for sparks which could cause a nasty explosion. :shock:
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
jidi

Post by jidi »

Many thanks for the info, Jim!
I have another chemo on Wednesday, if all goes well I'm going to get going on this thing!

Jim
jidi

Post by jidi »

Ordered my tank and straps from Rock Auto on Tuesday, and they just showed up on Friday!
Those guys are good! And, the tank and tank straps came in at just under 200.00, including shipping.
I just have to remember the StaBil blue this fall!
Thanks again, guys, for the tip!

Jim
jchirico

Post by jchirico »

Be careful with the Spectra tank. While agree that it is a quality piece, the filler neck o-ring that ships with the tank may not be correct. I ordered one of these last year and had a lot of trouble. Eventually the correct o-ring was sourced from tbird-hq. I did work with Spectra and sent them to tbird-hq for a sample o-ring, so maybe the correct ring is now shipping with the tank. However if you now have a leak at the filler neck, save yourself time and order the o-ring from tbird-hq. It's less than 10 bucks shipped to the house. :smile:
jidi

Post by jidi »

Thanks for the heads up!
I remember reading about an o-ring leakage a while back.
I'll make sure to check it out!

Jim