rmf. brake cyl now pedal to floor.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

greg

rmf. brake cyl now pedal to floor.

Post by greg »

Any ideas on what is going on with the brakes. No leaks anywhere and master cyl was bled correctly. It is a remanufactured one.
dales65

Post by dales65 »

Hi Greg, if the pedal is going to the floor you may be losing fluid back into the brake booster.

You say it's a reman unit but either the seals are not creating pressure in the system or it's leaking back. You can take the M/C forward a bit without loosening the brake line and check to see if there's fluid at the back of the M/C and on the bottom of the hole in the booster, if so you'll need to rebuild or replace the M/C and empty the fluid out of the booster.

Good luck.
Dale
65 convertible with tonneau
greg

Post by greg »

dales65 the plunger jammed in the master so O'reily has ordered another for me. There was a tad of fluid on the rear of the master. O'reily has a new master on their web but it's not available at this time. I know, don't put em on the website if you can't get it.
dales65

Post by dales65 »

OK, that would explain the problem all right, too bad about the defective part guess you're going to have more more practice at bleeding!

I had another thought after posting, the proportional valve went bad on mine, leaked past the seal and dripped down from the rubber band protecting the vent hole on the bottom, another area to watch on these old beauties. But that's only if you have a 65-66.

Cheers
Dale
65 convertible with tonneau
gurn

Post by gurn »

Look on the bright side, at least you weren't in heavy traffic when it went to the floor. :shocked!:
65 hardtop
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

gurn- Look on the bright side, at least you weren't in heavy traffic when it went to the floor. :shocked!:
Or trying to slow down from 70 either.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...