What I've been working on

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

TsNStangs

What I've been working on

Post by TsNStangs »

Hello all -
I've been kind of AWOL from here the past few months, and have missed you guys! Business has picked up, at least for the moment, and that combined with greater responsibilities I've had to take on anyway have sucked up most of my time lately.
In the little free time I've had, I've tried to re-access my sanity by working on a couple of projects whenever I can. (Some of you may remember this one from a few months back on the "Who's got motorcycles?" thread):

I've added D&D carbon-fibre exhaust, modded airbox w/ K&N filter, Bridgestone BattleAx BT-016 tires, CRG 6-way adjustable billet levers, Superbike grips, new mirrors and rear turn signals (actual rare NOS stuff!), smoked Zero Gravity windscreen and a custom Sargent World Performance solo seat colour-matched to the paint.
The tires and seat themselves have totally transformed the handling and feel of the bike, and the intake/exhaust changes have improved performance so dramatically that the guy at the dealer that installed my tires said it really surprised him - it was the "strongest 900" he'd ever ridden. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper!

And now, on to Project Numero 2:

My new '76 Honda CB550 cafe racer! :mrgreen:
I've been wanting another one for years, and this one's a blast. Only 13,000 miles on her. Lots more to come; I've already ordered up a different tail light and exhaust system from Steve Carpenter, a stone guard for the headlight, and some small vintage bullet turn signals for the front. Still considering a glas-fibre front fender, and maybe a bikini fairing. The possibilities are endless... :cool:
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
WC145

Post by WC145 »

Very nice Ducati but that Honda looks great to me. That cafe racer look was in when I was young and I had a couple of bikes set up in similar fashion. Very cool stuff.
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

I can appreciate both.

The 900 was a great street bike, way better on the road than the lusted after 888 etc.

Really dig the vibe of the cafe racer. I used to build up Suzuki GSXR's as naked bikes (they came with full fairings) with a big round headlight off a GS1100.

The tail light is great. I once built one for one of mine (had a full fiberglass race tail on it) out of a shaving cream lid!
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
60fore

Welcome back stranger!

Post by 60fore »

I was gettin' pretty miffed at your lack of presence around here lately mister, but I see you've got a passable excuse. Man those bikes are uber-cool! :cool: :cool: Looks like that little thread I started a while back re-kindled an old fire eh Dan? :lol: I know exactly how you feel though; I am just loving riding again and I've dragged a buddy of mine into the hobby as well. On Monday I will accompany him as he goes for his license road test.

I've done a few mods to my Road Star too; will post a couple pics in the old "Any other motorcyclists out there" thread.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Thanks, guys.
WC, as I think I'd mentioned in the "motorcycle" thread, I had a Yamaha TX500 twin back in the late '70s that I'd done up as a cafe bike, and it's never gotten out of my system. Being that was a pretty modest build due to me being a college student at the time, I've always wanted to re-visit the style, now that I can afford to do a nicer job of it. I've also always wanted an early Honda 4, and the CB550 seemed the perfect size for the true spirit of a proper "caff".
Gary, I sure you wish you lived closer so that we could hit the road together sometime. Maybe I can coerce Nova to build himself another cafe... ;-)
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333