Wiring an aftermarket stereo...

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Lugnut

Wiring an aftermarket stereo...

Post by Lugnut »

Im trying to install a kenwood stereo in my 60 bird, Can I use a hot wire like the headlights for power? If I could run a line from under the dash where the head lights connectto the stereo it would just run off the hotwire the lights are running off of. That would minimize the amount of wiring and fusing I would have to do.
greg
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

Wiring an aftermarket stereo

Post by Terri McNeill »

Welcome Greg,

I personally wouldn't tap into any wire running off the headlights because if your new stero would start to overload for some reason it would at best blow the fuse for you headlights or at worst burn some of the wireing with it! Just my thoughts.

Terri
Terri McNeill, Past VTCI President, currently VTCI Publications Director, Member of VTCI, VTCI-PNWC and Chicagoland Thunderbirds
mike harmon

Post by mike harmon »

My personal favorite is the cigarette lighter wire- it's sized for a lot of current, it's easily accessable and identifiable, and most people these days don't use the thing anyway. It's also connected thru the ignition switch, so that you don't have to worry about inadvertantly leaving the unit on and running the battery down.