No brake lights

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
mcgsxr

No brake lights

Post by mcgsxr »

I had started asking questions about this in my thread about reverse lights, but figured a new thread was in order.

I have reviewed the info about the earlier Birds in diagnosing this problem. It is a good primer I figure.

I know that my fuses are OK. I have verified that the brake light switch works (tested with a multimeter both open and closed, with 12v present when appropriate).

I went looking for the flasher unit referenced in the Flairbird docs, but don't see it in the trunk.

I have pulled the spare out of the trunk, but don't see anything like what the earlier cars have back there.

Pics below.

How do I continue to test now? I figure the big black box is the sequential flasher unit for a 1969.

Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I figure the big black box is the sequential flasher unit for a 1969.
Sounds like it to me. Here's a page from cougars unlimited ebay store, the 69-71 section is near the bottom. Looks like the green wire is still used from the brake switch, test it. Sorry I can't help more, I don't have those schematics.
http://stores.ebay.com/BARGANSPOT/1965- ... oting.html
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

Thanks for that link.

In reviewing it, there is a flasher relay, it is somewhere up under the dash.

Ugh, back on my back under the front!

Then, into the trunk again!
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
tbird

Post by tbird »

That black box is a replacement for some of the electro mechanical that was used up until 66 I believe I have a new one.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

The brake light switch at the pedal works.

I have power at 3 wires in and out of the black flasher box.

On to the tail lights I guess.

Could all 6 bulbs have malfunctioned?
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Earlier you said the turn lights all worked, the same filament in the bulb is used for stop and turn so it's not the bulbs. :???:

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

I have double checked that all the rear signals do work (all 6 bulbs sequence and light as they should), when just using the turn signals. The brake lights don't work regardless if the signals are on or off.

I will have to spend more time with the flasher unit, and figure which wires are which.

I am having trouble sorting out which 3 wires should have power in and out of the black box - I have different colour combinations than what is listed in the link, but there is power to 3 of them at both connections with the brake pedal wedged down.

It may be that the signal switch in the column is bad, but seems odd that the signals would all work if that was the case.

Fun fun!
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Actually in a car without sequentials, the brake lights do go through the turn signal switch, maybe yours does too. See if you can unplug or back probe the T/S switch and find brake light current with the pedal pushed. It won't hurt to look.

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

I may have to dive into the column, but I fear it.

The fact that I have power on 3 wires in the trunk - does that not mean we can rule out the pieces that come before it?

I don't have emergency flashers functional either, does anyone know if this is related, or if there is a flasher unit specific to the 4 ways I can test?

Thanks,

Mark
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

Heeding some good advice, I have ordered up the wiring diagram for the car (and the vacuum diagrams for future use), and will wait for those for the final analysis.

Early stage thinking though, is that it may indeed be the column mounted turn signal switch.
tbird5866

no brake lights

Post by tbird5866 »

I would be looking at (or for) the brake light relay. Maybe under the hood, Let me look in the Ford Parts Book!
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

I don't think the 1969 has a brake light relay. I could be quite wrong though!
tbird5866

no brake lights

Post by tbird5866 »

Of course, you may be right, but with all those bulbs lighting up the rear of your car, I would expect a relay in the brake light system..
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

Trust me, all ideas are genuinely appreciated, so if you do come across any documentation that one exists, with any idea of where in the car it may be, I am glad to add it to my list of things to test.

A friend of mine suggested that since there is no power on the green/red striped wire at the brake pedal - I should test it by bringing power to that connection.

I am not that familiar with testing electronics - where under the dash can I tap into power, or do I need to run a long temp wire off the + of the battery?

His thought is that if I apply power to that wire, I should then have brake lights, and then I will know that it is the column switch that is gone.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

The brake light switch at the pedal works.
I took that to mean that you tested, and had power in and out of the brake switch? A test light is your friend here, one of the switch wires should be hot, and with the pedal pushed they both should be. If you need to run a jumper wire for testing, the fuse box will have someplace to tap into, find it with your test light. Hope that helps, Bob C

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop