Phosphate and Oil Update

This area is open to"How-To" section only for tutorials on fixes, etc. (no profanities/etc.). NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

ABQTBird

Phosphate and Oil Update

Post by ABQTBird »

When I originally did the phosphate etching process, shown in the other thread in the area. I hadn't tried oiling them. I just redid my manifold bolts and I have some pictures that show the oiled process.
This time I did not wipe off the excess phosphate crystals. I simply oiled them with motor oil with a hogshair brush. The bolt on the left is freshly oiled. The bolt on the right has soaked up the oil overnight. The bolt on the bottom is a Hillman 5/16"-18 bolt from Lowe's. They also carry the Hillman bolts and nuts at Pepboys.

This is how the bolt looks in my freshly painted semigloss manifold. I think this darker look is more attractive:

By the way, I have looked into the metal darkening kit at Eastwood. It is a proprietary copper/selenium dip. I tried to scrounge up the chemicals on the internet, but I can't obtain any selenium dioxide. It is toxic and expensive. The blue color of the Eastwood solution comes from copper sulfate.
Last edited by ABQTBird on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978
tbird

Post by tbird »

Your oiled & dried bolt looks good Tom, the old Eastwood kit also gave you a oil dip with it very thick oil with a funny smell to it it would soak in overnight.

This ongoing discussion should really go into the general forum Tom the tech area is intended for the final solution to repair or how to accomplish thing like this.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
dales65

Post by dales65 »

Excellent report and pictures Tom, I think I prefer the oiled method as well. I know what I'll be doing when I get back to my garage this summer. :smile:

Dale
65 convertible with tonneau
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

(***Just FYI, I'm letting this post stay here, since it does show the results and info of a process that could benefit others.
While this may be one of those "borderline" matters since it was originally discussed elsewhere, I think the results shown here could be a good future reference for members.
Thanks for sharing this here.)
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333