Jack

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

daddys_63

Jack

Post by daddys_63 »

Could someone send a photo of a correct jack for a '63 T-Bird? I'm going to scrounge in Portland, but I'm not sure about the shape of the shoe. Thanks allot!
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Have you looked at the jack instruction decal? It's shown on it.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
daddys_63

Post by daddys_63 »

Alan H. Tast wrote:Have you looked at the jack instruction decal? It's shown on it.
I don't believe I have one...
Thanks
A
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Here are some pictures:

Storage:

Mechanism: note jack arm is reversible for front and rear.

Base mount in trunk:
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Tom here is how the jack is stowed on my '62 - this jives with the jack instruction decal, and my jack has probably never been used:

Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Tom here is how the jack is stowed on my '62 - this jives with the jack instruction decal, and my jack has probably never been used:
Gary,

Interestingly enough, there are two different configurations for the jack stowage, depending on which piece of literature you look at. In the configuration shown on the trunk sticker, the socket of the handle is actually supposed to engage the small "L" shaped sheet metal tab along the lower edge of the trunk floor, and the jacking mechanism is stowed in front of the rear shelf bracket, with the post laying on the bracket.

In the configuration shown in the '63 owners manual, the handle is stowed completely on the top of the hook, socket not engaged, and the jacking mechanism lays on top of the rear shelf bracket.

I've chosen to mount mine using the first method as shown on the trunk sticker, as that seems the most stable to me and I like the idea of using the dedicated tab mount for the handle that Ford designed into the trunk.

Your configuration is most like the owners manual, with the exception of the handle position which is unlike either configuration above.

There may be yet another, different picture of this somewhere, but I don't recall where if there is. And, I don't have a '62 owners manual, so that may be different yet. Alan would know for sure.

I can just see the look on Texas Tom's face right now... :roll:
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Jim - neither of the jack stowage pictures you posted seem to show the two rubber "sleeves" that my jack handle has. One is at the front end of the handle and the other is just aft of the bend in the handle.

Original equipment, or PO mod? OCD minds need to know.

Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Looks like short lengths of heater hose on the jack handle. My hunch is that it's not factory-installed as I don't recall seeing these on any low-mileage car I've documented over the decades. I suspect the previous owner put those on, and it actually isn't a bad idea from an anti-rattle standpoint. I would think if they were factory-installed that the jack instruction decals and/or the Owner's Manuals would have shown them.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
60fore

Post by 60fore »

OK thanks Alan

ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Good information to know. I don't have the jack sticker yet. I was wondering about the way the ends of the springs were secured. I thought it was a PO mod, but I guess the loops on the springs do go over the bolt and washer without undoing the bolt? I will check it out in the morning.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978
Ian M Greer

Post by Ian M Greer »

Question for you guys Ive owned four 1963 T-birds ( one a 29,000 original mile car) the point being none had tha twist tabs to secure the side curtain to hide the jack .They were all a lift up flexable panel was it different for 63's . Ian M Greer
1963 M Landau Caspian Blue (Remember Not All Birds Fly South)
Member #-12090
tbird

Post by tbird »

Ian
The 61 /62 used a board panel that matches the other trunk boards to close the jack area with the twist closer and eyes at the top to hold it closed where the 63/66 used a Burtex curtain that lifted up to cover the jack.
I noted in the second picture that JW posted that the twist closers can be seen, the jack location also matches the 62 owners manual. The reproduction jack stowage instruction decal for the 62 has the handle on the tab but it may be generic, guess your car is still in storage 60fore. Oddly the OFS shows 3 different decals they all have the handle on the tab but if you have a wire wheel for a spare the on a 62/63 the post mechanism sits on top of the trunk bracket the other 2 have only the post on the bracket.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
texastomeh

Post by texastomeh »

I can just see the look on Texas Tom's face right now...
Jim,

I swear that as I was reading your post, that is EXACTLY the look ( :roll: ) that I had on my face!

When I got down to your statement quoted above, INLMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom :roll:
Tom Hartfield
"GROWING old was GREAT! BEING old SUCKS!"
"Seems like all the guys that know how to fix America are too busy working on old cars!"
'63 TBird HT
1927 BUGATTI Type 35C Replica
TR186 Triton Bass Boat
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Ian
The 61 /62 used a board panel that matches the other trunk boards to close the jack area with the twist closer and eyes at the top to hold it closed where the 63/66 used a Burtex curtain that lifted up to cover the jack.
I noted in the second picture that JW posted that the twist closers can be seen, the jack location also matches the 62 owners manual. The reproduction jack stowage instruction decal for the 62 has the handle on the tab but it may be generic, guess your car is still in storage 60fore. Oddly the OFS shows 3 different decals they all have the handle on the tab but if you have a wire wheel for a spare the on a 62/63 the post mechanism sits on top of the trunk bracket the other 2 have only the post on the bracket.
Yep, that's where I saw the other configuration! Found a picture of my SR jack setup. The post mechanism is on top of the bracket and the hook is positioned more towards the rear in order to accomodate the jack base. I'll need to remember to remove the rubber piece on the handle before Alan spots it in Charleston... ;-)
Last edited by Jim Wulf on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

The rubber on the handle might be the next 'big issue' for the OFS :lol: In my 65 owners manual and the MPC, the jack handle clearly shows the rubber hose, and that's how I found it when I brought my car home. I don't see it in the MPC for 61-63. Oh boy, the Charleston drama is already building ;-)
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop