Putting the 64 on a diet.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

cdhowell

Putting the 64 on a diet.

Post by cdhowell »

This will not be a concourse car. It was purchased as a hot rod project. What, if any steps have you guys taken for weight savings.
That said, I want to keep a near stock appearance to the body. I want to keep the FE block, Heat and AC. I do plan on shaving the door handles but solenoids offset the weight and no savings there.
Current thoughts are coatings vs. insulation under the carpet. Speed holes in non structural area. Fixed seat mounts up front. Coil overs in the rear. Remove skirts and emblems. Aluminum drive shaft and third member.
Maybe shave the drip rails? X bracing behind door panels and rear seat could be dimple died to retain integrity and be not seen.
The goal is 3300# Is it realistic without spending a fortune on fiberglass panels? Lexan or plexiglass are not an option. All input welcome.
Did you ever stop to think and forget to start again?
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Aluminum heads and intake :cool:
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
cdhowell

Post by cdhowell »

Sorry there. I had aluminum heads, intake and radiator in my first draft. I am at work and pulled away constantly.
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

My car lost 38 LBS last year by me getting on a treadmill and eating better. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It even helped my everyday driver
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
cdhowell

Post by cdhowell »

13#s and counting.
6t6

Post by 6t6 »

You're talking about shaving 1200 pounds off the car....

removing the drip rails completely MIGHT save you 4 pounds....

I don't even know where to begin
cdhowell

Post by cdhowell »

I am under the impression that the bird has a curb weight of 4200#. If correct and I lose 200 in the motor with heads and intake. Thats 700 left and the place I start asking for ideas. Trying to brain storm this with others for ideas. Some will be good some not so. I do not think its out of the question.

Example My rock crawler has larger axles and 38" tires on bead lock wheels 32 bolts per wheel. Custom bumpers and sliders out of 2x4x1/4" tube. 140 ' of 1 3/4 .120 wall roll cage tubing. 9000# winch, 1 ton Tie rod ends in 1 1/2" .250 wall for steering with a hydraulic ram. Transfer case skid plate is 1/4". Diff covers made of 3/8" plate. and 3/16" quarter panel guards. With all that and a tool box I am 200# over original curb weight. That's less than the weight of 2 tires. I am very familiar with Jeeps but new to the birds so this is why I ask here.

I bet my drip rails have 4#s of seam sealer alone.
60fore

Post by 60fore »

I am under the impression that the bird has a curb weight of 4200#
Curb weight of a '64 hardtop is given as 4431 lbs. (they gained a couple hundred pounds with the new body style).
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
cdhowell

Post by cdhowell »

Thank you 60fore for a corrected weight. All the more reason for a diet. And I will probably shoot for 3500 instead of 3300.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

If you have electric seats and windows, switch to manually operated--but still talking drops in the ocean. Have you considered a roadster?
6t6

Post by 6t6 »

I don't know how you feel about losing your heat and ac if you have it...

All the stuff under the dash probly weighs close to a hundred pounds...

Also you may want to consider losing the dash altogether, get some gauges and build a lightweight dash of some sort -that would prolly save 50 pounds or so
cdhowell

Post by cdhowell »

sseebart wrote:If you have electric seats and windows, switch to manually operated--but still talking drops in the ocean. Have you considered a roadster?

As in removing the top? Manual window are on the list. as well as fixed seat mounts.
6t6 wrote:I don't know how you feel about losing your heat and ac if you have it...
All the stuff under the dash probly weighs close to a hundred pounds...
Also you may want to consider losing the dash altogether, get some gauges and build a lightweight dash of some sort -that would prolly save 50 pounds or so

I'm not looking to gut the car. In fact, I want Joe average to not notice the changes. I have no knowledge of whats behind the dash. I would bet the squirrel cage is metal and could be fitted with a lighter plastic. The ac compressor changed to an aluminum body Sanden type instead of the big heavy York. Point being almost everything in this old car needs attention. Its not like I want to rip out good working components for the sake of weight saving. Just addressing the weight issue as I build. A little here and there all add up in the end. 1 fender replacement may save 10# of Bondo.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Yes, as in removing the top. You would gain some weight back in additional bracing, but would lose the top, all but the windshield (and wing) glass and all the window regulators.

Saw it done by Chip Foose on Overhaulin':

I would love to do this with my '64, but not sure I'm ready for the cost.

~Steve
cdhowell

Post by cdhowell »

That is sweet! Not sure about going that extreme. Anyone know the weights of the COM and the C6? I have both available.
cdhowell

Post by cdhowell »

Hey Dale, Thanks for coming by with the donuts. Had one with coffee this morning. Hope you have a safe trip home and see you next year.