Brake Line Question/62

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Kaminari

Brake Line Question/62

Post by Kaminari »

I am trying to replace the male connector that screws into the female connector of the rubber front brake line. I notice that I have a narrow steel brake line from the master cylinder to about the back of the front wheel well. From the wheel well, the narrow brake line flares into a wider line the leads to the connector that screws into to the rubber brake hose. It seems like the narrow line continues in the wider line from the wheel well right up to the connector (about 8 inches). Is this possible? I have purchased the new brake hoses and am trying to understand how I should flare the end of the steel brake line to fit in the male connecter that I have. Should I try to cut the outer (wider) line to reveal the thinner, inner line and flare that?

Thanks in advance :razz: ,

Raymond/Denver
Raymond in Tokyo, Japan
Alan H. Tast

'62 Steel Brake Line

Post by Alan H. Tast »

I'm not quite sure what you've got there, or what you're trying to accomplish. Are you installing a new fitting on the old line because the old one was stripped beyond use or the flats on the fitting rounded off? Is the line from the master cylinder to the flex line a single piece, i.e. not spliced together from two lines with an in-line fitting? The original line should be a single piece from the distribution block on the front of the master cylinder to the flex line connection.

It may be possible that there is a metal sheath over the line to help protect it inside the wheel well, but I haven't observed this on my '63 (I do know they did this with the fuel line tube). If this is the case, and you're rebending the line so that it will meet the flex line's female end, then the outer sheath would need to be cut back in order to allow not only the new fitting to slip on, but to also allow for enough tube to create the double flare needed (a single flare should never be used as they will crack and result in fluid being lost with catastrophic results).

If you can afford it, I would recommend replacing the old steel line with a new one, either by getting the right length from your local parts store and bending it to shape, or get the prebent ones from your favorite T-bird parts vendor. Why? The old line has been around for 40+ years and subjected to exposure to moisture, and may be weakened over time. When it comes to brakes and personal safety, no expense can be too great. And, while you're at it, make sure to replace the other flex hoses as well - chances are if one has gone bad, the others are not too far behind.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Kaminari

Follow up on brake question

Post by Kaminari »

Alan,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am trying to know if I should try to cut the sheath. It does seem that the line is original, but, as I am not the original owner, it is impossible to be certain. I just thought that replacing the whole line(s) would be a waste, but your comments are well taken.

I will need to learn what a double flare is the next time I visit my hardware store.

Thanks again,

Raymond
Raymond in Tokyo, Japan