COLORS AVAILABLE FOR 1963 THUNDERBIRD

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

KYBRIGGS82

COLORS AVAILABLE FOR 1963 THUNDERBIRD

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

When Silver Mink was ordered as a exterior color what color options/combinations were available for the interior? Is there a site to verify these color combinations? Does Ford have an archives system like Chevorlet to research these old Thunderbirds?
1963 FORD THUNDERBIRD SPORTS ROADSTER
Alan H. Tast

63 Roadster Colors

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Ford doesn't have an archive system like GM or Daimler-Chrylser, especially since they're cutting out everything they can due to all their red ink. That's why we're here - we care enough to help. It's also the reason why VTCI has published the 1961-1963 Original Factory Specifications Manual, which contains information on interior/exterior colors, finishes, engine detailing, chassis components and MUCH more! You need to get a copy of this if you are restoring, detailing and preserving one. It is available through VTCI's Country Store to VTCI members.

As for colors, Roadsters were available in Silver Mink with Silver Mink vinyl (50), black cloth/vinyl (76), black vinyl (56), black leather (86), red vinyl (55) and red leather (85) interiors, according to a revised Dealer Facts Book dated 11/15/62 and revised listings in the Color/Trim showroom album dated 4/1/63, with a choice of white or black convertible top. This information is listed in chart form, along with other interior/exterior combinations, in VTCI's 1961-1963 Original Factory Specifications book. What's needed to complete the documentation chain are copies of the original color/upholstery listings that would have been issued in late summer 1962 to confirm that there were not additional interior choices.

There has been a question recently regarding availability of Blue trims and a blue top on the Roadster when painted Silver Mink. As noted above, color/upholstery listings in dealer sales literature does not indicate that it was. However, at least one instance has been reported of a Silver Mink Roadster sold with a blue leather interior (82) and documented by its Gate Release (I do not have a copy of this for verification). This most likely was a special order, which could be done by a buyer, but usually would be noted as such with a DSO number more than two digits long and also noted on the ROT/build sheet and invoice. Silver Mink vinyl (50) looks very close to blue (52-vinyl, 82-leather) until you put the two side-by-side. And, you could only get blue convertible tops with blue interiors.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
tbirdgreg

Post by tbirdgreg »

Alan this is the one Blue Leather interior, Silver Mink 63 Roadster that I had previously brought to your attention. Kim is the new owner. Kim has the build sheet and I also have a copy. If you want a copy we can get one to you. The dark blue top also has the blue front rubber that contacts the windshield chrome.
63 Thunderbird Roadster
64 Thunderbird (Tonnau Cover)
KYBRIGGS82

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

Hi Gregory..Thanks for all your help. YOUR AWESOME !!
I love this car and with all your help my dream car was found and today I'm driving with only smiles..My patrol car excluded !!!
KYBRIGGS82

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

So here's the rest of the story..On 04/27/2006 I spoke to the original owners son of my 63' Thunderbird ordered 12-12-1962. I was advised his father had ordered this 1963 Thunderbird with the options as listed:
SPORTS ROADSTER
SILVER MINK LEATHER BOLSTER&INSERTS (TRIM 82)
800X14 WSW TIRES
POWER LIFT WINDOWS
POWER SEAT DRIVER
SELECTAIRE CONDITIONER
TINTED GLASS
SEAT BELTS
HEAVY DUTY BATTERCOLLANT ANTIFREEZE
I was told his father contacted the dealer,LEE MOTOR COMPANY,ELM CITY, NORTH CAROLINA after a month of delays and was told he would have to pick a different interior color since Ford was not able to produce the Thunderbird Roadster as ordered with the interior colors requested. I was told he became angry with Ford and being a very firm businessman advise Ford if he didn't get the Thunderbird in the colors he requested he would cancel his order. Needless to say, his father got Ford to build his Thunderbird and now my Thunderbird with a unique interior color like no other 1963 Ford Thunderbird Roadster ever built..And that's all she wrote folks....
segi1962tbird

Post by segi1962tbird »

wow, thats an awesome story....i live in newark, ca...i would love to see pics of your car, my email is segi_inguanzo@yahoo.com...i have a 1962 convt, with the blue interior, just wanted to make sure i had the right shade of blue
KYBRIGGS82

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

Sorry.. I sent you photo's but your e-mail address as posted is incorrect since my mail to you was returned.
Wklink

Post by Wklink »

Cool read.

I bet the leather really looks good in that car as well. Mine is the Silver Mink with the two tone blue combo which looks really good. Leather would have looked awsome. I wonder why they didn't go that route. I have seen red leather silver mink birds and I just don't car for them. To each their own I suppose.
Thomas Cofield
1962 Hardtop, 'Thumper' Red/Black
1962 Hardtop, 'The Survivor' White/Red
VTCI-PNW
RSSVTCI
segi1962tbird

Post by segi1962tbird »

KYBRIGGS82 wrote:Sorry.. I sent you photo's but your e-mail address as posted is incorrect since my mail to you was returned.
sorry..let me try that again segi_inguanzo@ yahoo.com

that should be right :smile: