Shoulder Seat Belt

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1990-97 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
MikeB

Shoulder Seat Belt

Post by MikeB »

On our '90 T-bird, the driver shoulder seat belt is stuck in the forward position. Passenger side works great. After hunting around a bit, I found the fuse pulled in the box under the hood. Put a new fuse in, and the driver side motor started running, but the belt doesn't drive. I'm assuming the strip in the track is broke. I can turn the motor by hand and the belt will come back about 2" and stops. How hard is it to get this change this out? Since I'm still looking for a shop manual, do I have to take down the entire panel under the steering wheel to find the fuse box?
Thanks,
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
Blown306

Post by Blown306 »

If you can't move the belt manually all the way, then I concur, the drive strip or motor gear is trashed, probably the strip.

You'll have to remove the door trim around the window and the rear panel as well, the motor is inside there. That means taking the lower rear seat out, and possibly the rear seat back, and maybe the front pillar trim as well. It's been a couple of years since I had mine all apart.

I have a gray one out of my '93 if you are interested...contact me off-line.
- Jeff
President, Chicagoland Thunderbirds

'93 Kenne Bell LX "Putting the THUNDER back in the BIRD"
'02 Excursion Diesel - 2x the torque, hp, weight and economy
'03 V-Rod - No more mod money
'03 Goldwing - My other bike IS a Harley
MikeB

Shoulder belt

Post by MikeB »

I was able to order a new strip from Ford. Got it working fine. I'm going to rob the motors and strips from our '88 Tempo before it goes away. I have a feeling that they may be the same. I have a couple other questions though. Is the only fuse box under the hood? It sure doesn't seem to have many fuses in it. This is where I found that someone had pulled the shoulder beld drive fuse. I also noticed that both the interior light doesn't work and the third brake light doesn't work. In my '69 T-bird both these run off the same interior light fuse. Is this car the same? Once I get my hands on a manual, I'll be happy!!
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
Blown306

Post by Blown306 »

Glad you got it fixed...the box under the hood is the power distribution center, it has mostly the high amp stuff with circuit breakers. There should be a small fuse block under the drivers side dash to the left of the steering column. It has all the misc accessory fuses and such...
- Jeff
President, Chicagoland Thunderbirds

'93 Kenne Bell LX "Putting the THUNDER back in the BIRD"
'02 Excursion Diesel - 2x the torque, hp, weight and economy
'03 V-Rod - No more mod money
'03 Goldwing - My other bike IS a Harley