Wood Grain Door Trim Question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Pete1325

Wood Grain Door Trim Question

Post by Pete1325 »

Hi, I bought two wood grained door trim peices off ebay and was looking for advise on the best/easiest way to install them. Thanks.
1964 Black/Black/Black Landau
vacreeper

Post by vacreeper »

These should have metal tabs on the back that stick through the door panel and are then bent over. Are yours this way? Do you need specifications for the location?
Pete1325

Post by Pete1325 »

I have not yet begun to remove either door panel yet.
tmjsong1aolcom

Post by tmjsong1aolcom »

Each year 64 and 65 had their own woodgrain top door panel pieces. The easiest way to tell the difference is the door lock knob hole. Note that the wood grain used on all three years is different. On the 64 the hole is same contour as the rounded top. The 65 has a flat area for the knob as it sticks up from the rounded area. Might be interchangeable but be careful as the 65 and 64 door panels have many differences.

As for replacing the wood grain aluminum covered pieces. It is easy once you take the ones on the bird apart. Most pieces are held to the panel with a series of metal straps that hold the pieces to the panel with tits that run thru the panel and bend over.

This is a time consuming job and be prepared to take a long time.

Good Luck
Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi. tmjsong1@aol.com
Pete1325

Post by Pete1325 »

Fuz, I see what you mean. The ones I purchased on line must be for a 65 because it has a different shape at the door lock botton as you described. Other then that they do look the same size. Just wondering, if I chose to stay with the old trim peices can I just place some wood grain contact paper on the metal? Has anyone ever done this?
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Contact John Draxler at Thunderbird Ranch - he sells vinyl woodgrain pieces you can stick on your old panels. Price is $30 for a pair.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
tmjsong1aolcom

Post by tmjsong1aolcom »

The lieces John sells are an extremely close match. The advantage is you are doing the door panels which are far enough away from the other pieces no one can tell.

I installed a set on a 64 landau. The easiest way to remove the original wood grain is with a solvent. I think an alcohol is recommended but I think I used acetone. Remember when using a slovent do so in the open air or extremely well ventilated area. Mine turned out wonderful but remember to measure and fit many times before cutting..

Good Luck
Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.
tmjsong1@aol.com