1996 LED Tail Lights

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1990-97 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
outlaw

1996 LED Tail Lights

Post by outlaw »

Does anyone know about those LED tale lights on the 1996 T-Bird? One of mine is out and the auto part stores say they dont carry them. Are they a dealer part only? I see alot of cars with them out.
Thanks
Alan H. Tast

LED burn-out

Post by Alan H. Tast »

I have been told that if a person went to a lot of trouble and effort, the LEDs can be replaced. It would involve disassembling the taillight housing and obtaining replacement LEDs from a place like Radio Shack. One of our local members in Kansas City gave me instructions on how to do this. However, I don't recall where they are at, what parts to use, or how it was done - he probably did a search on the Web to find them off a MN-12/'90s T-bird/Cougar-dedicated site. Most owners I know have lived with them being out or have found functional used ones, which most likely are on borrowed time.

If someone can pinpoint how this is done, I'd love to hear about it.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

you basicly have to cut the back part of the lights apart, and replace the led's and then glue it back together. not worth it imo.

tccoa.com has the directions to fix this.

dan newman at town and country ford can get you replacements for a decent price www.fordpartshq.com
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

found it.

Information about the LED Taillights

The strip has 20 LED's, and is made by Hewlett-Packard
The following numbers appear on the bottom of the circuit board: 5181-4051 and PCL-10
The first 17 LED's are spaced every 25/32", then 1/2" for 1, then 9/16" for the last two
There are four resistors on the circuit board, all the same color bands: orange, orange, black, green
The reflector for the LED is made by Hewlett-Packard, and has the following numbers: QPWR-G299, E-5041-9048 2 and F2SB-13B500
The LED strip itself is 16" long, and 5/16" wide
The Reflector (LED housing) is 16 3/8" overall long. It tapers out on one end from 16", and is 1/2" wide, and 1 1/8" high

Cutting the Sealed Taillight Assembly

So far, the best way to cut them open is with a dremel tool, using a small diameter cut-off wheel. You have to be careful when cutting, because if you go any deeper than the thickness of the black plastic housing, you will damage the reflector. This is mainly an issue on the long top cut, and the two vertical cuts. The horizontal cut along the bottom can be made deeper. I would scribe a deep line into the housing, where the cuts will be. This will help in making a decent cut.

When looking at the black side of the assembly, you will see two 5/16 diameter by 1/4" high plastic 'pimples' sticking up. Those are receivers for the two screws that hold the LED reflector in place. Make two horizontal cuts, one that is 1/2" below the receivers, and one that is 3/8" above. Start each one 4" to the right of the right receiver, and end each one just past the left receiver, and just before the gusset for the trunk mounting screw. Then connect the two cuts with two vertical cuts. You should then be able to pull the unit out. The plastic housing is 1/8" thick. Don't cut any deeper than that, especially on the cut that is above the receivers.

As far as putting it back together, you could glue a couple of plastic strips to the piece you cut out, and then put the piece back in it's original position, and either hot glue it back together, or use warmed up black silicone sealant. Remember that I haven't done this yet, as I wrecked this one purposely to see how it looked from the lense side.

Also note from the picture, that the other side of the black plastic housing is painted silver, and when you glue it back together, the top horizontal cut may show thru the lense

Image[/img]
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
outlaw

Post by outlaw »

Thanks for all that great info, that was what I was looking for!!!
Paul
1996 LX 4.6L
PeterKesel

Post by PeterKesel »

I have found fantastic LED tail lights. And these are high quality design.
# High quality LED products

# Compatible with all cars at low voltage electrical system

# 50,000 + hour lifespan

# Easy to install

# Attractive slim design

# All the time on the road

# 3M Tape Double companies, including

# Dimensions: 185mm x 26mm

LED Tail lights
PeterKesel

LED Tail Lights

Post by PeterKesel »

It is essentially in your own interest to enhance visibility and make your vehicle safer by upgrading to an LED Tail Lights.