Speakers

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

redstangbob

Speakers

Post by redstangbob »

I'm planning my radio upgrades, I have a new head unit with wired remote for under the right seat. Is anyone using the dual voice coil speakers that Mac's and some other vendors sell? There won't be any door panel cutting, or other monkey-shines, the speakers will go in the front and rear locations like they should. I've heard mixed reviews of the dual voice speaker, should I bother? Thanks, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
boaterbob

Post by boaterbob »

Bob, I used them in my 66. The one that fits in the front has been in for 6 years if i remember right, And still works great. Seems to give a little more base then the two small ones they sell. The dual voice that fits in the back i had to pull out and replace with the two small set up that fits almost right after i installed it. The back one would crack soon as you turned the volume up. I happened to check with Gary Tayman back then and he did say the rear dual voice had an issue. Like i say that was a few years back.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Thanks Bob, that's pretty much what I hear about the back one too. So you used a couple of smaller speakers to make your own dual speaker? I'll look into that too...... Bob C

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
boaterbob

Post by boaterbob »

I just bought the rear speaker set up off Pat Wiloson ready to go. Still works fine.
http://www.wilsontbird.com/webcatalog/p ... cts_id=828
cshepherd

Speakers

Post by cshepherd »

I haven't gotten there yet, but it's next on my list. Do the speakers you're talking about work for a convertible? I guess I don't understand if you are or are not installing in the door panels. I do not want to cut the door panels, but not sure what will give me a good sound without a top!
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Do you have a rear speaker now? For cruising or driving on surface streets the front and rear speaker should be OK. On the freeway you'll have to crank it up.
I just bought the rear speaker set up off Pat Wiloson ready to go. Still works fine.
http://www.wilsontbird.com/webcatalog/p ... cts_id=828

Thanks for that Bob, I'll give them a call first since they don't have a picture of it.

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
cshepherd

Speakers

Post by cshepherd »

No rear speaker and original front. I see the front and rear speakers Pat Wilson has, but I'm wondering if I may also need the under seat, or only under seat because of the open top.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

This is an old subject, do you have the open speaker grill? I don't remember if we concluded whether a car got it or not if it wasn't getting a factory speaker. Thanks, Bob C

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Bob, cars without the rear speaker had no openings under the bird emblem.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
cshepherd

Speakers

Post by cshepherd »

Sorry, but I'm new to the neighborhood. I'm sure this has been debated many times prior, thanks for having patience.

Mine does not have a speaker in the grill, however, the grill is open with only the bird in the middle. Looks to me that you could put a speaker there, you would just need the mounting bracket.
boaterbob

Post by boaterbob »

There should be studs on the back that the speaker itself bolts to, No bracket.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Seems to me we got going about replacement package trays, I'm not sure. You could mount a rear speaker to try out, and ad more if you need. Door speakers were available with the AM/8 track radio in 66, so if you wanted to put them in it wouldn't be way out of line. I found pictures of the dual voice speakers in Pat Wilson's catalog, they look like the kind I want. I'll play the system on the bench first so I don't get a bad surprise ::?

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop