Vacuum Advance Connection Question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Plains_TBird

Post by Plains_TBird »

Plains_TBird wrote:Ok, I called Pony Carburetor and found out the correct size adapter for the carb port. The adapter is a female 1/8 (as tbird posted) to 3/16 male. Thus the port size is 3/16. I ordered one and it should be here next week.
Disregard what I said above. As tbird stated, the correct fitting is 1/8 and in 65 there is not supposed to be an adapter. Looks like I have the honor of having a carb with a bad vacuum port. Someone obviously messed it up at one time. :x Now I will have to re-tap and try to get an adapter to work.
tbird

Post by tbird »

Plains
Not quite following what your problem is does the carb base have a 1/8" female pipe thread or does it have the 3/16" female tube thread? If it already has a 1/8" pipe thread then you would need to install the brass pipe to tube adapter if it has a tube thread for the 3/16" male tube fitting and it is damaged you likely have enough meat to tap it out to the 1/8" pipe and then install the adapter to screw the tube into. See my previous post for the external diameter of the two threads.
How about posting a picture of what you have.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Plains_TBird

Post by Plains_TBird »

After everyone's help here and a talk with pony carbs, it sounds like my vacuum advance port has been modified by a previous owner. Someone made the port too large and the 1/8 male end is way too small for the port. I am going to have it professionally fixed this spring as I don't want to mess with aluminum threads. Thanks for the help!