Reproduction Battery Cables - Fitment Question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Bill C

Reproduction Battery Cables - Fitment Question

Post by Bill C »

Does anybody have experience with the reproduction battery cables available for the 64-66 T-Birds? I just picked up a set yesterday and found that the negative cables chassis ground flag ring terminal is not large enough for the bolt that attaches the cable to the chassis.
When I bought the car, it had generic battery cables attached so I do not have an original set to compare these to. I am, however, almost positive that I'm using the correct fastener & correct location for the chassis ground connection, as it is the same screw & location where the alternator ground cables are grounded at.
I just want to verify that I've got the correct location and fastener before I drill a large hole in my $60 set of battery cables! :badgrin: :badgrin: I am little annoyed that I am having to modify a $60 set of cables that are supposed to be an exact reproduction of the originals...
1966 Q-Code Town Hardtop
Plains_TBird

Post by Plains_TBird »

I had the same problem with the pair of reproduction battery cables I bought from Birds Nest for my 65. I just drilled the hole bigger and it works just fine. Frustrating, I know.
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Figures... If you (the company) are gonna create custom printed battery wire, why not just create the correct flag terminal with the proper hole diameter?!? Oh well, a drill will make quick work of it. Thankfully the "flag" has enough material to support a larger hole.
1966 Q-Code Town Hardtop
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

We did a repro set on the 64 7 years ago and the ground flag on the negative cable had the correct size hole. Don't remember where we bought the set from though. Just enlarge the hole, it will work just the same.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...