Hardtop converted to convertible?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Husky35

Hardtop converted to convertible?

Post by Husky35 »

I am looking to buy a squarebird or a rocketbird convertible, and thought I had made a deal until the owner informed me that the 60 squarebird I wanted was titled as a HT because it was "converted" by a reputable local shop around 15 years ago. Is there so little difference with the bodies that the conversion can be done safely and "accurately"? I frankly can't tell the difference. Everything seems to work well and the car lloks good, but something in the back of my head says stay away. How much of a discount would a frankencar take off an original. Would it be re-sellable later on down the line?

I am not a purist, just like the cars and want something to take the family cruising. I guess if it was a 32 highboy, I wouldn't care, but a 1960 tbird is different. I plan on slamming it and putting disc brakes and dressing up the motor, but taking the top off is pretty extreme.
vince

Convertatop

Post by vince »

I would listen to that little voice in your head. It already seems to bother you a little and you are going to plenty tied up in the car. There are plenty (well enough) cars out there like you want. Why not keep looking a little longer.

Doing the conversion is not difficult for someone with the skills. Others here and a '60's body manual should tell you where to look for the extra bracing. I would be sure all this is there if you decide to go ahead.
Husky35

Post by Husky35 »

I passed on the Frankenbird.