California Black Plates - Their significance?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Greg McDonnell

California Black Plates - Their significance?

Post by Greg McDonnell »

I am wondering what I should do with the original CA black plates that were on my '63 Monaco when I purchased it back in late '03. They are in good condition and I have given some thought to restoring them and either keeping them with the car (they've been on it since '63) or offering them to someone in CA via Ebay. Would my car be more valuable if it still had its' original CA plates? I live in AL therefore I cannot use them on the car. We are either required to have a vintage tag or a regular (daily driver like the masses) tag. I can check with our DMV but I am almost certain CA plates won't fly here!

What is the significance of these CA black plates? Is it only important to CA owners or, as I asked, would it increase my car's value for me to retain these plates?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Greg McDonnell
'63 Limited Edition Landau aka "Gracie"
#82 of 2,000 built
Mobile, AL
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

Personally, I'd keep 'em with the car for two reasons:
1. They are original to the car and therefore part of it's history.
2. They are evidence that it was originally a California car - for some collectors this adds value.

FWIW...
Steve
'62 Landau

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"...
VTCI #11678
car guy

Post by car guy »

I agree with Steverino and will also add that if it is ever sold to someone in California again, they can use the plates again. It WILL add at least a tiny bit of value if you have some registration documentation that verifies that they were on the car at some point. How much value depends on who you eventually sell it to.
Timothy

It's for my twin boys. Sure, they're only 4 right now, but it's all for them! And the girls, they'll want to drive too - they won't turn 3 for a while yet, but when they do, I'll have a pit crew!

Go Penguins!
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Greg,
The black and yellow plates were the series issued to cars from 1963 to about 1969 (several very different iterations have been utilized since). Very few of the cars that originally had them still do, having changed hands numerous times, and typically getting a new plate with each change of ownership. Having them now has become kind of a "badge of honour" here in CA, and honestly, they just look "right" with them on, just as they were when they were new.
There was just a new law passed in CA about a year ago that allows cars of these years to have the correct "Year Of Manufacture" (black and yellow) plates re-issued to them, but this law comes with lots of stipulations and, unfortunately, interpretation by whatever DMV agent you might happen to get the day you go in. It took me about 7 months and several trips to their office to get mine cleared and registered for my '66. There are a few different threads in both this and the '64-'66 forum about their history, and our recent trials in getting them registered.
This new law has also created a HUGE rush for these old plates (as long as they're a matching set in usable, "acceptable" condition), with a glut of listings on Ebay, etc. Prices vary dependent on condition AND, basically, the seller's whim. I was lucky enough to have a receipt for my car from its first oil change in 1966 to know what my originally plate number was, AND find a very close match to it, so I was pretty "motivated" to get it passed. I also paid $250 (yes, I'm actually admitting this on a public forum) for an another unbelievably MINT condition set that I may put on my '66 Mustang.
That said, as Steverino mentioned, they're a great piece of history to go with the car. Unless you need the $$, I'm guessing you're as sentimental about your cars as I am, and I'd advise keeping them with the 'Bird as sort of part of its legacy - and I guarantee that if you ever sold it to a Californian, he'd be VERY happy about it. :cool:

Just out of curiosity, what are the first three letters of your plate, just to verify they were the originals from 1963?
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
ValveTubeHead

Post by ValveTubeHead »

personally, I won't buy a cal classic without 'em... for locals and calif. natives, I think they have great sentimental value; a bit intangible and subjective, nevertheless. Original dealer frames are also a catch.
:hotsun:
Matt
'61 Tbird hardtop - restomod
'63 Chevy C10 short fleetside
'65 Chevy C10 long fleetside
'06 Porsche Cayman S
'15 Mini F55 Cooper S
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

OK, I just couldn't resist:

~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Well I lucked out. I have the gate sheet for my car so I called the dealer that sold it,the name had changed over the years but they are still in business. I asked for the parts dept. and told the man my story of the car they sold in 1964, and I wanted a frame from that dealer. long story short, he had some in the original company name and sent me one at no charge :mrgreen: I'm going to use it on the front with a custom plate, and I have a chrome perimeter plate with my YOM. Happy Days :lol: Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

Okay, can't resist...

Car was in my family before I was... These are the originals and in continuous use until 12/09 - no way I'd ever part with 'em (even though in PA I can't run 'em).

Oh, and I'm a California boy, born & raised, so I admit I may be biased... :mrgreen:
Steve
'62 Landau

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"...
VTCI #11678
KYBRIGGS82

Me Too Me Too

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

I love the way my California Black Plates set off my Thunderbird...

1963 FORD THUNDERBIRD SPORTS ROADSTER
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

You left coast guys have all the fun!! Your black plates are neat but at least mine (just by stupid luck) is color co-ordinated! My feelings are that anything that is part of the history of the car should be preserved and if the plate was originally issued it should be retained - hopefully the next owner will also appreciate it even if he isn't able to display it. Just for braggin' rights, I guess. Us midwesterners are proud of our California cars! :cool:

ALL - Very nice cars (I especially have a soft spot for Silver Mink Roadsters) :shock:
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Greg McDonnell

Post by Greg McDonnell »

Hey Guys!

THANKS very much for ALL the replies and photos! I REALLY appreciate y'all taking the time to share your stories and photos of your beautiful birds too!

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I contacted the CA DMV today and after less than a five minute wait (it was about 8:15 AM CA time), a very nice, polite girl answered the phone. She was not able to tell me if these plates were with the car all the way back to '63 because her computer only went back to '96. The plates are still registered with the car so the former owner, the guy from whom I bought the car, has not informed the DMV the car no longer belongs to him. She did say the last time he bought new stickers was '03 which is correct. I bought the car in Nov, '03. For $20, the DMV will research to see if the plates were issued to the car in '63. It is entirely possible the plates are original to the car though as the old guy who sold me the car bought it from the estate of the original owners in '81.

Daniel: The first three letters on the plates are GKF. I will be eager to hear what they indicate!

Yes, I'm a softie and probably wouldn't have separated the car from its plates in the end. I started this thread because I truly wanted to learn the significance of the black plates. I see ads in Hemmings stating "the car still has its original CA black plates". I've wondered why that was so important and now I know! :mrgreen:

I have seen the auctions on Ebay for the black plates. Two sets ended today and both went for over $100! A guy in TN restores them and has a set for $225 (Buy It Now) on Ebay as well. Should I restore these or just put them away as is? As most of you know, I'm meticulous so I could make them look as good as new... :roll: Just don't want to DEvalue them by 'messing with them' as opposed to leaving them original.

Thanks again for all the great replies to my questions!
Greg McDonnell
'63 Limited Edition Landau aka "Gracie"
#82 of 2,000 built
Mobile, AL
my61brd

Post by my61brd »

Black/Yellow Plates???

The Yellow/Black Plates are a LOT Cooler... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hey,Careful Man,there's a beverage here...

1961 Raven Black/Red HT
1996 Red/Gray 4.6 LX Sport
VTCI #11440
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

That is really cool that you were able to apply for those plates 5 years befor the car was made. :badgrin: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
ValveTubeHead

Post by ValveTubeHead »

CA DMV:
1963 was the last year a complete new plate issuance to all vehicles occured (the plates had a black background and chrome yellow characters).

I guess this means all registered/renewed vehicles were issued new plates in '63 to phase out all previous iterations,nevertheless you certainly find examples of every eras style prior....guess they missed a few, and let it slide.

the swirly PS distortion distracts from your plates natural beauty...let it shine! :hotsun:
Matt
'61 Tbird hardtop - restomod
'63 Chevy C10 short fleetside
'65 Chevy C10 long fleetside
'06 Porsche Cayman S
'15 Mini F55 Cooper S
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

When I bought my '63 in the spring of 1981 it was advertised as a 1-owner LA car. A lot of junk was found in it including gas station charge receipts circa 1963-1964, a parking stub to Hollywood Park racetrack, a little Hebrew token and a .38 cal bullet! But the best things were a black CA license plate that had stickers back to 1964 (no stickers used in '63) and registration slips. I've misplaced the registration slips but obviously kept the plate. First 3 characters were NSK (?) - I had read an online article that gave date ranges for issuance but didn't save a copy of it. I have no reason to not believe it is the original plate to the car, but sure wish I had the second plate (and, yes, I know I can get a close-enough reproduction made).
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster