'63 FE oil capacity?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Greg McDonnell

'63 FE oil capacity?

Post by Greg McDonnell »

When I received my '63 Monaco back from the restoration shop, the first thing I did was change the oil. I'd forgotten the amount of quarts needed so I checked the owner's manual in the glove box. It read 5 quarts (6 with a filter change). Since I was changing the filter as well, I added 6 quarts. I checked the dipstick and the oil line is higher on the stick than the mark indicating 'Full'. Have I put too much oil in my engine or is this correct?

Thanks!
Last edited by Greg McDonnell on Sat May 22, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg McDonnell
'63 Limited Edition Landau aka "Gracie"
#82 of 2,000 built
Mobile, AL
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Greg a slight overfill probably won't hurt you but if it's TOO high you can run into foaming problems.

What I do when changing oil is to add one quart less than rated capacity, then check the level on the dipstick and top off as needed. Because you never get all the old oil out when draining.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
Greg McDonnell

Post by Greg McDonnell »

Thanks for the advice, 60fore!

I let the oil drain overnight thinking that would get the better part of it. Should I drain the new oil I just added, saving it of course, and refill to the full capacity on the dipstick?
Greg McDonnell
#82 of 2,000 built
Mobile, AL
60fore

Post by 60fore »

How far over the Full line is it?

Greg McDonnell

Post by Greg McDonnell »

I'll have to check it (to be accurate) and let you know but my recollection from the other day was about a half an inch or so...
Greg McDonnell
#82 of 2,000 built
Mobile, AL
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Does Gracie have her original dipstick/tube? I wouldn't think adding 6 quarts would put you that far over the Full line.

KYBRIGGS82

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

I too read the owner's manual some time back and noticed to add 6 quarts of oil when completing a oil change including the oil filter. I follwed the information indicated in the owner's manual and found I was overfilled. I removed the oil down to the full level and ever since I have been adding only 5 quarts of oil including a new oil filter.
In your situation, I would drain your oil down to the full measure and remember 5 quarts is the correct amount to add the next time.
1963 FORD THUNDERBIRD SPORTS ROADSTER
Greg McDonnell

Post by Greg McDonnell »

Good question, 60fore!

I know I haven't changed the dipstick but who knows if the previous owner did? I doubt it though as, other than cosmetic things, the car was pretty original. The markings on the dipstick look to be FOMOCO originals. Again, I will check this as well as where the actual wet oil line is on the stick when I go to where the car is stored later today. I do know though the wet oil line is beyond the Full line on the stick.

I really appreciate your input! Thanks!
Last edited by Greg McDonnell on Sat May 22, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg McDonnell
#82 of 2,000 built
Mobile, AL
Greg McDonnell

Post by Greg McDonnell »

KYBRIGGS82 wrote:I too read the owner's manual some time back and noticed to add 6 quarts of oil when completing a oil change including the oil filter. I follwed the information indicated in the owner's manual and found I was overfilled. I removed the oil down to the full level and ever since I have been adding only 5 quarts of oil including a new oil filter.
In your situation, I would drain your oil down to the full measure and remember 5 quarts is the correct amount to add the next time.
Glad I'm not the only one who has had this experience :oops: ! Stupid question: To drain the oil down some but not totally empty it, I would presume I should simply partially open the drain plug allowing some to drain out and then tighten it when a quart looks like it has drained out? ::?
Greg McDonnell
#82 of 2,000 built
Mobile, AL
60fore

Post by 60fore »

If a recheck of the oil level confirms that it's half an inch over Full, I would do as suggested and drain/refill just to be on the ultra-safe side. Especially since the Bullets just have an idiot light for oil pressure rather than a gauge.

You don't want to take any chances with a beautiful car like that. At least I assume she's beautiful....still patiently waiting for pictures! :mrgreen:

KYBRIGGS82

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

Yup.. I drained the oil from the bottom of the oil pan and did this 3-4 times until I got to the full mark. I have the correct oil dipstick and tube and found 6 quarts was too much.
I would drain the oil before driving your car with more than the recommended amount of oil. I find it to be safer than sorry.
1963 FORD THUNDERBIRD SPORTS ROADSTER
Greg McDonnell

Post by Greg McDonnell »

60fore wrote:If a recheck of the oil level confirms that it's half an inch over Full, I would do as suggested and drain/refill just to be on the ultra-safe side. Especially since the Bullets just have an idiot light for oil pressure rather than a gauge.

You don't want to take any chances with a beautiful car like that. At least I assume she's beautiful....still patiently waiting for pictures! :mrgreen:
Thanks! Pictures coming (hopefully by end of weekend). I had it in the shop having the brakes gone through after sitting so long at the restoration shop. Found the rear wheel cylinders were leaking and the front seals, seeping. Changed them all and flushed the old brake fluid. The $$ keep 'hemorraging'-LOL! Of course, ALL of this, along with new shoes, turned drums etc, was done prior to the car leaving for the restoration shop. We all know it is NOT A GOOD THING (paraphrasing Martha Stewart) for a car to sit for long periods undriven. Got the car back Thursday from its' brake work. Also had to replace the AC fan belt (a Gates belt put on prior to leaving for restoration). No wear on it whatsoever. After changing the oil last weekend, I was letting it idle in my shop and the darned thing started coming apart! Even the guy who did the brake work for me had no explanation for its' demise. No pulleys were frozen or out of alignment. Go figure?
Greg McDonnell
#82 of 2,000 built
Mobile, AL
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Greg don't worry about an extra quart of oil. In fact lots of guys run an extra quart because of the FE's habit of loosing lots of oil at the rocker shafts and starving the lower end. With the engine running the oil level is much lower in the pan as the oil is being pumped throughout the engine. JMO Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Greg McDonnell

Post by Greg McDonnell »

redstangbob wrote:Greg don't worry about an extra quart of oil. In fact lots of guys run an extra quart because of the FE's habit of losing lots of oil at the rocker shafts and starving the lower end. With the engine running the oil level is much lower in the pan as the oil is being pumped throughout the engine. JMO Bob C
Bob,

Would that perhaps be the reason Ford suggested in the owner's manual to use six quarts instead of five?
Greg McDonnell
#82 of 2,000 built
Mobile, AL
Dirty Birdy

Post by Dirty Birdy »

[quote="redstangbob"]Greg don't worry about an extra quart of oil. In fact lots of guys run an extra quart because of the FE's habit of loosing lots of oil at the rocker shafts and starving the lower end. With the engine running the oil level is much lower in the pan as the oil is being pumped throughout the engine. JMO Bob C[/quote

There is actually a good read on the internet about oil fill procedures on the internet about these motors. You do actually run the full six quarts as Bob says, it recomends that you fill over the full line and in fact you can get an updated dip stick to reflect the capacity change. Ill get hunting for it and post a link.

Tim
http://www.fordification.com/tech/dipstick.htm
I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder!