Driving Miss Birdy (Summer Edition)

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

TsNStangs

Driving Miss Birdy (Summer Edition)

Post by TsNStangs »

OK, so summer's nearly upon us (OK, for those of us in this hemisphere, anyway), and I got to thinking about how people use their cars in the fair-weather season, especially in different parts of the country. I mean, with the kind of weather we have, we residents of the Golden State (CA) pretty much drive our cars year-round, but we still often make different use of them during the summer.
So, that said, how about a little thread about what you're planning to do with your old 'Bird this summer. Taking it on a full vacation trip? Hanging out at the beach? Hitting some local car shows? Just pleasure driving on the weekends, or to the the nearby ice cream or burger joint?
What's your plan? Inquiring minds want to know! :cool:
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
car guy

Re: Driving Miss Birdy (Summer Edition)

Post by car guy »

or to the the nearby ice cream or burger joint?
Already did that once this year, even though we had to wear coats and hats to do it!

It's just local cruising for me, with the tiny little local car show thrown in. If I can keep her cool this year we'll get into the Independence Day parade again, last year we only made half the route.
Timothy

It's for my twin boys. Sure, they're only 4 right now, but it's all for them! And the girls, they'll want to drive too - they won't turn 3 for a while yet, but when they do, I'll have a pit crew!

Go Penguins!
krave

Post by krave »

Being in southern CA my plans are to drive it.Weather isn't a issue.Sadly I have no place to go so around town will have to do.But if I cant get it fixed or keep it running right I will let it set in the driveway and start a car club called BROKEN DREAMS. :lol:
KYBRIGGS82

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

In July we are visiting a friends summer home in Carmel, Ca.
I plan on trailering my 63' to Carmel and plan on 8 days of driving 17 Mile Drive and around Monterey, Ca.
I am going to drive to Santa Barbara for an art show and back up to Carmel.
During the summer months this area is beautiful with 75 degress the average temperature.
1963 FORD THUNDERBIRD SPORTS ROADSTER
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Good stuff, guys - and krave, keep the faith! :mrgreen:

KY, that trip sounds awesome; that's all some beautiful country. We spend a lot of time in Cambria, and I keep threatening to take the 'Bird. It's about a 600 mile round trip, and I have no doubt it would make it with no problems, but the idea still seems a little daunting.
~ Daniel
VTCI #11333
novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

Bob's Big Boy is a few miles from my house and is the resident hang out for the Road Kings Car Club so they usually have a get together every friday. I usually cruise the car over and have a burger and shoot the crap with some of the local guys.

Basically a cruise-in every friday......

I also like to just cruise around doing errands since there are always people that appreciate the car where ever I stop.

John
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Once the engine is back in and filled with NOS oil :cool: it will be only local drives and shows for me. Our AMVETS has a Monday evening car show with good food and 30+ cars. Good chance to see old friends and have the top down for an evening cruise with the wife.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Sounds good so far - so mostly local shows, it sounds like.
Do any of you guys take "her" out for regular scenic runs, or down to the ice cream parlour every Sat. night, that sort of thing?
~ Daniel
VTCI #11333